BBC Sports Personality of the year 2011

beepee1984
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

BBC Sports Personality of the year 2011

Postby beepee1984 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:06 pm

I thought I would start a new thread for this years BBC Sports Personality of the year. Half the year gone and at the moment only McIlroy has done anything worthy of winning, but half a year for things to change.

The latest Market Leaders

Rory McIlroy 4/5
Andy Murray 7/1
David Haye 10/1
Jessica Ennis 11/1
Lee Westwood 28/1
Tom Daley 40/1
Lewis Hamilton 40/1
Chris Ashton 50/1
Mark Cavendish 50/1
Paul Scholes 50/1

No surprise with the McIlroy being Fav after his rather impressive display at the US Open.
Andy Murray will have to win Wimbledon and I just cannot see that happening.
David Haye will have to KO Klitschnko and even then people would have forgot be December.
Mark Cavendish will have to win the Green Jersey at the tour de france.

So with it not being Olympic year yet :P , surely Jessica Ennis cannot win it and who is going to win what to inspire people to vote for them?

Please just let it be anybody other than Paul Scholes? What has he done this year?

What does everybody think?
Last edited by beepee1984 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inplayking
At Stud
Tips

Postby inplayking » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:20 pm

But it is Olympic Year and for the last 3 Olympic years the Award has gone to an Olympic Gold Medal winner
Not til 2012 beepee

beepee1984
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby beepee1984 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 pm

OMG, I've not even had a drink and I don't know what year it is! :lol:

I'm glad you pointed that out now, I was just about to set up some trades on potential olympians, but I might leave it till next year now

Liverpool1985
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Liverpool1985 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I wouldn't be touching David Haye @ 10/1. Not exactly a likable guy. Two F1 Championship winners have failed to win this Award. And F1 probably drags in more viewers than Boxing.

Golfers do have a good record for this Award. Haye came last in 2010 didn't he? The only way he can take it is if a "big" syndicate get behind him.

Could Paul Scholes do a blimin Ryan Giggs.
Mark Cavendish will have to win the Green Jersey at the tour de france.

It won't be enough. He won the Green Jersey last year. Mark Cavendish has blown Cycling away over the past couple of years and hasn't even got a Top 3 finish for this Award. Simply not enouggh Interest in the UK for Cycling.

Of that list, 3 I would cross off are David Haye, Mark Cavendish (Even though he deserves some Award) and Lewis Hamilton. Make the list a bit smaller I suppose lol.
Anyone who has actually read Plato and thinks Atlantis existed, has my sympathy.

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Rugby World cup starts in September so in the very unlikely event we win expect Ashton to shorten as he will be scoring the tries.....

100,000 votes split last year between McDowell and Westwood ...will it be the same again this year with McIlroy and Westwood or Donald should one of the latter 2 win the Open and finishe the year as world number 1.

Tough to put in a lay of McIlroy but odds on is too short with 6 months left for the public to forget him and something else to happen...

djpeem
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby djpeem » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:49 pm

After backing Mcdowell last year at 40 or 50/1 (as he was on course to win the usopen) and seeing him backed into close favouritism after his ryder cup heroics - i was very surprised at the low amount of votes he recieved in comparrison to the top 3 - im sure McDowell only finished in fifth position which i thought was harsh after such a succesful year.

With this in mind - i would personally avoid backing any golfers.

A speculative £2 on john higgins at 949/1 Betfair. having already won the World Snooker Championship, if he can manage to win another major such as the UK Championship or the Masters.... (preferably with a 147 on the way :lol:) then i think we'll have a nicer price to trade out at nearer the time.

Alternativley, Judd Trump who was the beaten finalist in the first major of the season is another longshot at 350+ on Betfair. with his flamboyant style and remarkable talent - he certainly won a lot of supporters/admirers. If he can manage a win in any of the remaining major tournaments of the year, i'd also expect his odds to shorten.
Last edited by djpeem on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liverpool1985
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Liverpool1985 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Actually, I take that back. Golfers don't have a good record in this comp. Not sure where I got that from.
Anyone who has actually read Plato and thinks Atlantis existed, has my sympathy.

jimny2
At Stud
Tips

Postby jimny2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:11 pm

McIlroy though is in a different league compared to either McDowell or Westwood in terms of his appeal to the wider public as opposed to just the golf fans...Can you imagine the media coverage if he goes h2h with Tiger at one of the remaining majors this year or at another big tournament?

Saying that I don't see much value in backing him at the current odds, probably better off risking it on The Open or the USPGA later on in the year 'cos if he wins one of them then he'll be trading closer to 1.01 on Betfair.

Even if Cavendish won the Tour De France, which won't happen, I'm not sure he'd come close to winning this award...Now if he was in the Olympics that might be a different story.

Speaking of the Olympics don't know if you can get odds yet but backing Tom Daley for next years sports personality might be a good early investment.
If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.

djpeem
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby djpeem » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:18 pm

McIlroy though is in a different league compared to either McDowell or Westwood in terms of his appeal to the wider public
i agree... but at the same time if Donald, Westwood, McDowell Poulter etc win a major later this year - as well as Donald/Westwood pushing for world number 1.... i think you find the Golf votes split between the 2 or 3 golfers that are in the running as opposed to all voting for 1 candidate.

Just like last year with McDowell and Westwood. :?

cbris78
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby cbris78 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Mcilroy has a decent come back story after the Masters blow out as well, wouldn't be a backer of him at current odds though given things that have already been mentioned.

RE: Cavendish, he hasn't actualy won the green jersey yet, was 11 points off or something last year. He finished 4th 2 years ago and 7th last year (SPOTY). Considering the changes that have been made increase his chances of capturing the green jersey come the end of the Tour he might be worth an e/w bet but I struggle to see him winning.

Also although it's not an Olympic year it is the World Championships and Ennis will most likely win gold there so she must be in with a shout.

Haye was bottom last year and 9th the year before so even if he does beat Klitschko (which i don't think he will) your asking a lot of someone who is clearly not that popular and whose achievement will be on a PPV channel unlike Ennis' for example, which will be on BBC.

Unlikely that Murray wins Wimbledon or England win the Rugby World Cup so I think if i had to have a bet now i'd chance Cavendish e/w. Think Alastair Cook is also worthy of a mention if he keep scoring runs at the rate he is.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:52 am

Today's Bettingzone Market News:

1145: Favourite Rory McIlroy has been cut to 4/6 with Coral in the Sports Personality of the Year betting after Andy Murray's Wimbledon semi-final defeat.

David Haye, who faces Wladimir Klitschko tonight, is second in the betting at 7/1 with Murray out now to 7/1 (bet365, Sky Bet).

"The betting was lively yesterday with the Murray v Nadal result crucial," said Stephen Parkes of Sky Bet.

"If Murray had won Wimbledon things would look a lot different but with only the US Open realistically left for Murray to stake his claim for the award McIlroy has firmed up hugely to be crowned Sports Personality."

KanKeano
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby KanKeano » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Cycling is more popular in the UK than you would think. OK it's not on a par with some sports but quite a few follow the road racing now there are more brits riding in it and the advent of Team Sky. Then at Olympic time there is huge interest in track cycling - note Chris Hoy winning the award a couple of years back.

If Cavendish did win 4 or 5 stages of the TDF, the green yersey and then became World Champ later in the year that could change things.

However, McIlroy is a shoe-in for this award this year. Winning the US Open after blowing up in the Masters and still with a chance of 1 or 2 more majors.
OLBG Moderator

Twitter | KanKeano_OLBG

Owner of KanKeano Bears | SUPERBOLBG
AFC Conference Champions Season 5
AFC South Champions Season 3, 4 & 5