Strictly Come Dancing 2010

inatimate
Group 1 Class
Tips

Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Postby inatimate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:58 pm

I shall be the one to get this thread kick started because I am sad enough to admit that I find this programme quite entertaining :lol:

This year's competitors look like a pretty mixed bag, so lets give them a quick run down with their current odds taken from bet365 shall we?

Kara Tointon - Favourite, and for good reason here, the ex-Eastenders beauty will be as gracious as a Swan, or Swann, when she's on that floor, but will her dancing be able to live up to the expectations of the judges? Eastenders actors and actresses are usually pretty successful in this comepetition, but the odds could be too short for someone who may not be up to scratch on the dancefloor - Current Odds - 4/1

Michelle Williams - I have no doubt that she will be in the final of this one, ex-band members seem to have a good run on the ballroom floor, Rachel Stevens, Alisha Dixon and Emma Bunton have all come from a pop-group and made the finals here, and so this Independant Woman should be Bootylicious enough to go far at decent enough odds - Current Odds - 5/1

Matt Baker - Could he be the Chris Hollins of 2010? Well, I think that's what the odds are reflecting because I can't find much experience on the floor for the short sports correspondant here (are we sure it's not Chris Hollins again?). TV is all about watching the rise of someone, and he could be that person this year, but the odds look too short, just like his appearance - Current Odds - 9/2

Scott Maslen - The ladies' man, Jack Branning is the one to watch out for here as no doubt he is going to be driving the women crazy here, I have no doubt that he will last until the latter stages, he has the fan base from Eastenders and The Bill to back him up, but could the soap and BBC drama hunk suffer the same runner-up fate as poor Calvin, sorry, I mean Ricky Whittle did last year? - Current Odds - 11/2

Gavin Henson - Matt Dawson, Kenny Logan, Martin Offiah, Austin Healy, all four of these shown how Rugby and Ballroom are almost two peas in a pod, but it's not quite cricket. Now Gavin Henson will hope to claim the first win for the Rugby guys, who haven't fared too badly in the past. Should last a few weeks and possible chance of making final - Current Odds 7/1

Tina O'Brien - Ahh yes, Miss Sarah Platt, doing it for the cobbles, the Rovers, turkey necked Gail and Audrey, and that stupid bloody cat in the starting credits! Sure to get the Corrie votes, and a very attractive woman could get the votes in much the same way that Ali did last year, one to definitely watch, but from a soap not known for decent performances here (mainly due to lack of entry because they perform better on the ice!) - Current Odds - 9/1

Jimi Mistry - Quite a Mystery to me this guy, has that danceresque look about him, but is he going to be as much of a hit with the ladies as Scott or Gavin here? Not much else I can say about the bloke really :shock: - Current Odds - 9/1

Patsy Kensit - She's been everywhere else, and now it's time for the much traveled Patsy Kensit to hit the dancefloor. Can she dance? only time will tell, but she will have a decent enough following behind her from the Dales and Casualty faithful, and also a dark horse due to her time being part of a band in the 1980s, she would be the oldest winner of the show should she be successful, but i am sure those little dresses will have a small bear's tail popping out every so often before Ann Widdecombe hits the screens - Current Odds - 12/1

Goldie - DJ and well known for his teeth, could be far from the cup of tea that the ball room faithful will want to see here, and despite being a shorter price than all the names mentioned below, he could be a real contender for the first eviction as his style doesn't seem to be befitting of the show in my honest opinion - Current Odds - 20/1

Felicity Kendal - Glamorous in her own right, and is best known for starring in The Good Life and Rosemary and Thyme. Could turn a few heads, but may struggle when the competition gets slightly more intense, no one born before 1969 has ever won the competition, whilst no woman over 35 has won either, possibly showing the swing towards the more 'youthful' female competitors based on the past performances, another one at longer odds here - Current Odds - 20/1

Pamela Stephenson - Psychologist and wife to funnyman Billy Connolly, could prove to be a pretty decent performer here, although I would probably expect the younger ladies to out last her in the competition here - Current Odds - 25/1

Peter Shilton - Already had the attempt at dancing for Comic Relief, and if I am being honest, I thought he was pretty poor, great with the hands, but doesn't look too good on the feet from what I have seen and what I believe, could be the first to go, despite his English legacy, and will struggle to make the latter stages of the show - Current Odds - 66/1

Paul Daniels - Used to be a national family treasure with his 'dazzling' magic, and his skills on Total Wipeout (sadly though it didn't involve Boxing gloves or rotating bars, just 8 right and 8 wrong answers), now I find him quite irritating if I'm being honest, cannot see him being too well supported, and an early exit may loom for him - Current Odds - 66/1

Ann Widdecombe - Remember John Sergeant? Good, because it already looks like the radio stations are trying to get behind Ann Widdecombe here for the Entertainment factor that they believe she could bring to the show, still, although we could see another one of those, "should they really still be in a dancing competition" moments, she is highly unlikely to win the show, as her odds would suggest, but you can possibly expect her to avoid a couple of evictions against the odds in the early weeks - Currrent Odds - 66/1

Looks tough to call once more here, anyone have any thoughts? :?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 am

Michelle Williams is the ringer here as she's a professional dancer! Why isn't she on Dancing with the Stars instead!? Will Brits vote for an American!?

I expect her to mysteriously finish in fourth like Austin Healey a few years back. Too good for her own good!

The top six in the market should finish in the top six but in what order? I'd have pegged Baker and Henson as ante-post favourites but it's probably time for one of the ladies to win.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 am

Trying to think of the last 'older' lady to do well on SCD and I can't think of any.

Looking at the finishing orders of the last eight series brings up...um, no clear conclusion unless you think 32 is 'old'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strictly_Come_Dancing

budgie27
At Stud
Tips

Postby budgie27 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:37 pm

My wife reckons the bloke from Blue Peter and Pamela Stephenson (might she get the Scottish vote also) are the best dancers. I know nuttin but maybe PS at 30 on BF is a worthwhile bet as I can see the public voting for her as well.

Apparently Goldie is rubbish.

zagreb
Stallion
Tips

Postby zagreb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:22 pm

I have already had an e/w bet on Pamela Stephenson at 25/1 first 3 places as she was great in the Ballroom and from what they say so far her Latin looks good. Note to myself I must start getting a life, but truth be told I love the programme!

I think Paul Daniels will be first out as the public will keep Ann Widdicombe in for a while, especially after this weeks Salsa! I cannot wait
:D

ids81o
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ids81o » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:43 am

Goldie and Peter Shilton in bottom two, Goldie recieved lowest vote and goes.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Shame that they have reverted to how they do it in the US and not have the judges vote even if some of the time it did go 2-2 and to the tiebreaker of who had the lowest vote.

It's the worst part of SCD that between the dead time of Saturday night and Sunday the inevitable leaking renders Sunday's results show more or less useless. They may as well have the results on Saturday night.

Goldie going before Peter Shilton? Thought there was always the danger of him doing a DJ Spoony and being eliminated early but there was worse dancers on display than Goldie.

budgie27
At Stud
Tips

Postby budgie27 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I see my tip Pammy baby is down to 9-2 or so now from 30 (she was actually 66-1 on the 1st Oct). I don't know much about this as I said before but the other PS of Nottingham is 5/2 to be eliminated next and that surely must be one of the better bets of the week.

zagreb
Stallion
Tips

Postby zagreb » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Think Pammie`s odds are only going to get shorter budgie. I backed here at 25/1 and will be looking to trade out soon. :)

ids81o
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ids81o » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Shock result tonight: Tina & Felicity bottom two, Tina goes.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Jimi out last week as he lost against Michelle. Michelle out this week as she lost against Felicity.

zagreb
Stallion
Tips

Postby zagreb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:37 pm

With the Final this coming weekend I am going to have a punt on Pamela Stephenson. I had an Each Way bet at 25/1 on her at the start of the series so am in profit but I now think that though she is the outsider of the 3 she still has an outstanding chance.

Matt has lost a bit of his "mojo" and looked shaken after the judges panned him for his first dance in the semi and though Kara Tointon has been faultless so far the public vote could be split and Pamela could sneak it!