Mercury Music Prize

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Mercury Music Prize

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Whats everyone's thoughts on this years contest? Sometimes I think it's easier picking the six numbers and the bonus ball for the lotto than it is than picking the 'winner' of this, but here goes!

I like the look of The View. Has the right mix of radio friendlyness and indie darling edginess to make it popular amoungst the judges. Not the best album I've heard in the nominated list (even although I would say I'm pretty clued up, not heard of some of these!) I would like The Klaxons to win but I think it will be Dundee's finest.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black 3.5

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare 5.5

Jamie T - Panic Prevention 7

Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future 8

Bat For Lashes - Fur and Gold 11

The View - Hats off to the Buskers 11

Dizzee Rascal - Maths and English 12

Maps - We Can Create 12

Fionn Regan - The End of History 15

The Young Knives - Voices of Animals and Men 15

New Young Pony Club - Fantastic Playroom 17

Basquiat Strings with Seb Rochford - Basquiat Stri 19

danwith
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby danwith » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:38 pm

I would favour the Klaxons, Jamie T or Winehouse.
Klaxons because thay fuse indie with electronic music which is different to most bands, Jaime T cus uk urban music has had recent success in these awards and he also has his own style. and Winehouse is also different again but highly acclaimed by her peers.
I don't think the View will win cus they aren't that different from alot of the indie bands around at the moment and would personally prefer the Enemy there.
the Monkeys won it last time with their story telling songs but their new album isnt really improved. same can be said of Dizzee.
Havent heard of the rest of the nominations but sometimes the winners are someone you havent heard of before or since like Anthony and the johnsons and Talvin Singh a few years ago.

Id go for the Klaxons but its a pure guess

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:36 am

I definately don't think the view will win, the judges on the mercury music prize aren't interested in radio friendly.

The view are fairly dull plinky plonky indie while i'd agree with danwith that Klaxons, jamie T and winehouse would all be in with a good shout.

Dizze and Arctics I doubt will win, I foud the new arctic monkeys album very samey and certainly not something that would win them the mercury.

I think i'll be heavily laying that if it's on Betfair.

i've heard of new young pony club and young knives but don't really know a lot about them.

When they were playing clips on radio 1 yesterday on the news as soon as I heard that Jamie T track I was thinking, this is something that could win Mercury. then again as you say Klaxons are doing something fairly fresh and are reall pushing the indie rave type thing.

basically my bet is lay arctics.

lochinvar
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby lochinvar » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:05 am

Being the Mercury prize, anything could win. Amy and the Arctics did well in the Ivor Novello awards recently but I quite like Jamie T. Hes had a good year critically but again anything could win.

Dammo Qwirky
Stallion
Tips

Postby Dammo Qwirky » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:30 pm

anyone who does bet on this is very silly indeed (unless they are laying faves), unless they have inside knowledge. best album doesnt win, its just whichever scene they want to plug.

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:41 pm

I wouldn't back a winner out of these but really doubt Arctic monkeys winning as they aren't doing anything new.

it should be noted that no one has ever won it twice so for a quick samey follow up like Arctic monkeys to even be nominated is fairly suprising but for it to win, very little chance.

lets also remember that most of the time the Mercury goes to people who it would be helpful to, people that aren't well known and selling a lot of records all ready who they want to help promote.

Like anothony and the johnsons, talvin singh and dizzy rascal.

Arctic monkeys was just to make the masses happy for once and as it had already been hammered down everyone's throats!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Good points, but surely The Klaxons, Winehouse and Jamie T are just as radio friendly as The View? Klaxons seem to be on the background of every advert on Channel 4!

Mentioend I would like to see The Klaxons win (best act I saw this year at T) but got a feelign it will be The View.

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:45 pm

jamie t and the klaxons are doing something different.

while the view are really just another soft indie band.

winehouse is a pop singer with a great voice, decent songs and an attitude!

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:16 pm

See what you mean HOWEVER -

Jamie T reminds me of The Streets

Klaxons, as original as they are, have one cover on their album and start their live show with another.

Winehouse does have a good vioce, just htink that she's too popular

As I said I would like to see The Klaxons win it but got a feelign The View will. Sonsg about being 'Skag Trendy' and taking half an 'e' are not as soft as the lieks of The Kooks!

Anyone, arseholes are opinions and everyones got one!!!

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Anyone, arseholes are opinions and everyones got one!!!
not sure quite what the moans about leith.

not everyone cares who wins the mercury music prize, as dammo says it's not great for betting on and not everyone is into these bands so may not know a lot about them.

I've given my opinion and so have a few others.

I've got my bet on for Arctics not to win, that's all i'm doing!

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Arctic monkeys now out to 11.5 so i've traded out of this market.

winehouse (3.3)is still favourite followed by jamie t(5.1), bat for lashes(8.4) and klaxons (9.4).

maps are trading at 12.5 while the View are at 14.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:58 pm

Just say that we've both got our opinions, don't have sarcastic smiley to insert, no offence intended!