4) I like the challenge of trying to win
38%
5) I bet because I want to win money
48%

Total votes: 115
Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

OLBG Punter Awareness Survey - Question 2

Postby Jim Brown » Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 am

Hello all OLBG members. I'd like to invite you all to participate in the OLBG Punter Awareness Survey!

This is Question 2

Here on OLBG we're as much about education as we are about tipping. Have you ever wondered just how shrewd a punter you might be? Are you that really disciplined punter who's never going to lose a lot, or are you the guy the bookie just loves to see coming into his shop every day? Betting is big business, after all it's money that counts. So when it comes to finding out how good you might be and how good a chance you stand of coming out ahead, take part in the the OLBG Punter Awareness Survey The survey will take the form of a series of questions set as polls here in the forum, one per week, and by the end of the survey we will be able to;

a) find out how shrewd and betting-aware the OLBG membership is, and

b) be able to pass on useful information from the most experienced to the lesser experienced.

Everyone can learn something!

IMPORTANT: This is open to EVERY single member to participate, whether you are a new/inexperienced punter or one of OLBG's most successful tipsters, and we encourage everyone to at least VOTE. We want to reach and represent the whole range of OLBG membership.

Please answer in the poll, and just answer honestly. By all means, if you feel the need to, express support of your answer to the survey question(s) by posting in the thread. Views as well as votes are highly encouraged! :win:

Note: You can't change your answer once posted, so do think about it before you click on your option.

Here's the previous questions if you've yet to answer any
Question 1
Question 3
Question 4
Question 5
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: OLBG Punter Awareness Survey - Question 2

Postby nors » Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 am

I bet to win money, the bottom line is important to me. If i can supplement my income from betting then that helps pay for the credit card bill, drinks, holidays, my wifes addictions (furniture, clothes,)

I also like the challenge of pitting my brains against the bookmakers in horse racing handicaps and on football. It is possible to profit from them but does take a lot of work, patience and dedication. They have banks of staff (many of whom are bright) waged against us and all the facilities at their disposal - what they cant do is to pick and choose events, having to price up everything, we by being more selective can profit.

steveb65
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby steveb65 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 am

I have to win ...as its my only source of income but i do love horseracing and even if i was in a position that i didn't need it for income i would still bet for the fun and the challenge.
Scratching a living on the great imponderable .... :hope:

Bisto6
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Bisto6 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 pm

I usually price up the odds in my head mainly on sports with no draw Baseball,cricket etc.and if the bookies are bigger then i may have a bet

tipstonga
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tipstonga » Wed May 31, 2017 7:42 pm

I would have picked all of them but #2. I am not a frequent spectator of sports and when viewing them I am neither thinking on betting nor able to bet. Moreover I have the prejudice that if I see the game I have a bet on, it is very likely to lose. Anyhow I have get used recently to bet on horses and view (some of) the races in the bookies page.

I picked the option #1 , the fun . Mainly because it contains almost all of the other and more: the attempt of certain knowledge (#4), the anxiety of the decision, the urge to place the bet, the expectancy, the hope, ... and eventually the thrill of the win(#3) and the money(#5).

But, for me, option #5 is not "the" reason. The money is an objective but not because it is what counts , but because it is what can be accountable; the blood you receive for your blood. With all respect to those that think otherwise and wishing them the best luck, I am skeptical for statistical reasons -which I believe is not the case to develop here- respect making a living betting.

tipstonga

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:57 pm

So far the poll shows its the challenge of beating the bookies + the desire to win money.

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Bumping this up!

Question 3 will be posted tomorrow, so if you haven't answered Questions 1 and/or 2 so far, or have yet to see them, then feel free to take this as a reminder.

But don't worry, ALL survey questions will remain open for voting for the duration! :win: :win: We want as many OLBG members as possible to vote in the survey
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

davmah12
2yo
Tips

Postby davmah12 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:22 am

i'VE BEEN A PUNTER SINCE THE DAYS OF Crudwell the NH friend of Punters(70 years ago)

.I tend to ignore impossible races like The Grand National.Over the years I've learnt about Class,distance,weights,(ESP ADDED),course jockeys and trainers,Irish raiders,stables in form,race timings and going, I find my sels usually produce 50% winners and a plague of s/hd and neck seconds!Occasionally I back a single horse but 95% of the time I do Lucky 15s with a bookie who trebles the odds for a single winner on one ticket.My aim is to have a winning L 15 and gain the 10% bonus.Usually find 2 per month.
For the new punter dont bet everyday but read the racecards and results carefully.Note any horses that were "nearest at finish" .This is a dangerous sport for betting often and you will need about ten years to become reasonably successful.Betting successfully is more intricate and time consuming than many science degrees!
Dont bet with the sole aim of winning lots of money YOU WILL LOSE!
Be aware that very few newspaper tipsters make a profit but they can know a thing or to so pay attention to what they are tipping and when.
I cant recommend any selection system as a sure fire winner but several times a week I will find 8/1 plus winners sometimes unexpectedly(like SPOOF yesterday)
If you think that a particular handicapper is good at finding the best horses in a race think about backing the top two weighted horses as ew bets plus an exacta or reverse f/cast.........not really for everyday betting but often pays well if attending a race meeting.
If you have a bet set your absolute loss limit, never increase it and think of it like a theatre or football match ticket.You pay you have,hopefully, some pleasure and there is a bonus that sometimes racing refunds your outlayTheatres and Football don't!
Enjoy!