What Are Your New Year Betting Resolutions?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

What Are Your New Year Betting Resolutions?

Postby nors » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:07 am

Many of us are going to lose weight, take up running, give up smoking, lose weight, be nicer to loved ones, watch less junk TV, read more books, learn a language, take up baking etc, but what are your New Year Betting Resolutions for 2017 ?

The best resolution will win a forum award, so make them good and helpful to other members.

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Re: What Are Your New Year Betting Resolutions?

Postby Zipster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:16 pm

I am not in betting to make myself rich, that is never going to happen and to be honest over the past 3-4 months my whole approach has changed and I am again enjoying having a bet!

The key to the change was reducing my stakes, unless I am backing something that is a standout bet then I have cut my stakes right back, I have the past couple of months been chucking on a couple of quid here and there and that's been it but the strange thing is that I am enjoying so much more, maybe that is because the risk is much lower but I put it to myself why bet big when you are not enjoying it and the conclusion is the lower stake bets are more enjoyable (and I lose less!).

So in 2017 I am going to continue with that and hopefully stick to it.

The normal one is 'Stop backing ridiculous Accumulators' but I can never stick to that lol
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

kenenek
Listed Class
Tips

Postby kenenek » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:47 pm

To learn more about betting industry, and be an expert in analysis :D

zorrobet1
Listed Class
Tips

Postby zorrobet1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:55 pm

To win by myself!

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:15 pm

My Main New Year Betting Resolution will be to become more disciplined with my betting and to focus on value betting.

In the past I have tended not to back odds on shots, particularly in Horse Racing and that probably won't change next year but as regards to other sports mainly Football, I am learning that odds on shots can still be considered "value" as regards the respective chance in comparison to the odds offered.

I also agree with "Zipster" on an earlier post in that I get the same buzz out of backing a winner regardless of the stake, so little fish are sweet as they say and the enjoyment does not diminish as much when one get's done by a nose or short head as opposed to when the staking is higher.

2016 has been a year of trying new betting strategies for me which I am still fine tuning, it has been an enjoyable and experimental one and hope to hit the ground running in 2017 .... " Value..... Value......Value"

Good Luck to all OLBG members for a prosperous and successful 2017

Happy punting !
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

toadie21
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby toadie21 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:06 pm

My betting resolution is to forward plan abit more with my betting.
I.e it is easy to say I'v got a betting budget and it's 10pts per week but what if that week is Cheltenham week Royal Ascot where you'd want 10pts a day. I intend to set out a betting diary and highlight where I need to save extra betting funds for but also where the sporting calendar may be light and where I won't or don't need to spend as much I.e the international break.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Mine are... What Are Your New Year Betting Resolutions?

Well 1st one easy... :D Many of us are going to lose weight, been on diet over year now, stucked at it,
Which is quite hard going.
Well do have couple happy foods now and again, goal weight nearly there hopefully next year some time.
Have know completely cut out all junk food, except know again, but like the nice healthier snack treat
reward for helping me keep going..
So have stucked with that Resolution midway half thru mid 2015.. Yes bit later Resolution and stuck with it..

Betting... Resolutions 2017 1: Take my time selecting my horses :yes: , Dont be put off of it and do it,
and also don t rush,.Glad the Saturday horse selection is back on here again and helps me to focus on that particular meeting.

Finally be nicer to loved ones, Life to short to quarrel being nice is the better way forward etc..
Plus Hopefully we all have a very Happy 2017, sticking with our Resolutions and have loads of fun to.. :)

jmfwwfc85
2yo
Tips

Postby jmfwwfc85 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Great thread! My new years resolution centres around practising what I preach. For years I have given the old advice about research, value, discipline and bankroll management, without really following the advice myself. For the last 4 months I have. As a result, for the first time in my 'betting career,' I'm staying in the green. I'm playing a mixture of disciplined strategies that involve; a lot of research, good value, 1% of my bank and a shed load of discipline. So my new years betting resolution is to 'practise what I preach'. :D

Happy new year to you all!!

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Welcome to the OLBG forum jmfwwfc85, hope you will join in with further discussions on the forum as your resolutions seem spot on good advice. :win:

jmfwwfc85
2yo
Tips

Postby jmfwwfc85 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Welcome to the OLBG forum jmfwwfc85, hope you will join in with further discussions on the forum as your resolutions seem spot on good advice. :win:
Will do, thank you.

Diesel20
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Diesel20 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:18 am

Discipline, discipline, discipline. Lack of discipline is the biggest reason I didn't have profit in most of the past betting years and one of the biggest reasons I had only small profit in 2016. When I'm on a good run, I become too careless and start making stupid bets and when I'm on a bad run, I try to chase losses and this is always a bad idea. Therefore, my resolution number 1 is to be more disciplined - only bet on matches I carefully picked earlier with a lot of studying.
Resolution number 2 - watch more matches. Watching is (almost) everything in betting. I watch a lot of tennis matches, but in 2017 I want to watch even more (especially ATP). If you watch a lot of matches and have at least simple understanding of the game, you could make at least small profit (if you're disciplined enough of course).

toadie21
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby toadie21 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:55 am

Self control and discipline seem to be the message being put out and I agree but I also feel that there is a place for accumulators and dreaming of that big win. And I like to include my days selections into a small stake acca or Yankee/heinz because you never know when you are going to have one of those days. Most be it'll be in 2017.