India vs England ( Can England escape whitewash? )

Will India beat England 5-0

Poll ended at Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:11 am

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 1
111johnny
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

India vs England ( Can England escape whitewash? )

Postby 111johnny » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:11 am

India is all set to host England for a complete five matches test series. India have lost only one home series since November 2004 and which came against England in 2012. In that series India was favorite to win but suffered a 2-1 lose against the very talented English side but does they have same kind of talent now? I may be wrong but I'd reply in negative. England won that series because of classic spin bowling from Swann and Panesar and a fine batting performance from Alastair Cook.

At the same moment I'm posting this thread, Bangladesh which is 9th in the ICC test rankings has beaten England in the second test. The reason behind their failure against Bangladesh is spin and it's going to be the key factor when they will face the number one Indian team. Facing R Ashwin (world no.1 bowler) and Ravindra Jadeja in a test game in India is one of the toughest jobs in test cricket and considering their wobbling against Mehedi and Shakib Al hasan, it is certain that danger is on England in this series.

India recently beat New Zealand 3-0 in the tests and the same they did against South Africa last year. Indian team have been playing aggressive game under Virat Kohli's captaincy. Indian batting is very solid featuring Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Vijay. In the recent matches, Ashiwn and Jadeja have also contributed with the bat so they are looking a solid test side at home and their series win is certain but the big question is, Can England escape whitewash or not? I personally feel that if weather doesn't interrupt than it'd be 5-0 because Kohli doesn't like test ending as a draw.

My tip - India to win 5-0 at 11/2 at skybet

What is your opinion about this series? please comment

Fixture

1st test, Nov 9-13 (Rajkot)
2nd test, Nov 17-21 (Vizag)
3rd test, Nov 26-30 (Mohali)
4th test, Dec 8-12 (Mumbai)
5th test, Dec 16-20 (Chennai)

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Re: India vs England ( Can England escape whitewash? )

Postby jaydubs » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:41 am

I think it all depends what sort of pitches India are going to prepare.

Bangladesh's pitches although contributing to tight games were a disgrace for test cricket .. it devalues cricket to have just 1 spell of 3 overs late in the first innings from your paceman .. if India are going to prepare pitches that mean you have to play 4 spinners and no seamers then it will be 5-0.. if they prepare proper pitches then it may still be 5-0 but i would fancy England to win enough sessions in one of the tests to avoid this.

Saying that their batting is shocking ...Ballance now has to go..

If it was me I would have

Cook
Duckett
Hameed
Root
Stokes/Ali/Bairstow at 5/6/7

then whatever the pitch dictates.... but would say you have to play Woakes and Rashid...

Ansari doesn't look a test player but why pick Batty at 39... jack Leach should have come ...

Fredgarv
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Fredgarv » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 am

I think this is a testing time for England I know we are always saying this about one team or another but they are in a transition period where most of the old guard are exactly that and the new blood needs time to adjust in time they will get it right but they are best watched with not too many expectations at the minute.

111johnny
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby 111johnny » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:38 pm

so tomorrow starts the first test at new Rajkot Stadium. At this venue spinners have taken 16 five wickets haul in 20 first class games so pitch going to assist the spinners but not from the very first day. jadeja is a local boy and has bowled tight spells recently and I reckon that he could prove better than Ashwin in front of his local crowd. Pujara is also a local boy and he has played lot of cricket in Rajkot. He's mature, temperament is excellent and average is nice so he can also play a big innings. Virat has said in interview that he will go for to win the every game so England will be under pressure as least in the first match of this series. I suggest back India at 1.53

inplayking
At Stud
Tips

Postby inplayking » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm

if India are going to prepare pitches that mean you have to play 4 spinners and no seamers then it will be 5-0.. if they prepare proper pitches then it may still be 5-0 but i would fancy England to win enough sessions in one of the tests to avoid this.
You mean if India prepare pitches for the English? Why should they, do we prepare turning pitches when they come over here, of course we don't. The home team has every right to produce the pitch they want and it is up to the visitors to combat that, just because we are nowhere near good enough doesn't mean they should give us some leeway.

Can't see anything other than a 5-0 personally.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Well I'm glad your prediction was wrong.
If cook had been more aggressive on the morning if day 5, we could have left Rajkot with a surprising win.

To me, if England bat first in all matches, we won't be beaten. This is a good side, but we will lose to the unavoidable pressure of batting 4th on deteriorating wickets if that's how it pans out.

It has to be recognised just how many runs this England team has in it. Cook loves playing over there, and will be the second highest run scorer in India by a tourist by the end of this series. Root is currently challenging Kohli for number 1 in the world.

I will be backing England DNB in every match if England are batting first.

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Well that was an interesting first test.

I was a little torn pre series as though India have an outstanding home record I've not been that impressed with their batting of late. They have a decent line up but a bit like England have often needed someone further down the order to dig them out of trouble (usually Ashwin).

However bowling wise England did nothing in the Bangladesh tests to suggest their spinners could make a big enough impression.

The pitch at Rajikot was a perfect way for England to start the series. A pretty flat pitch that allowed the batsman to score runs, breaking up a little as the game went on. With the big first innings score on the board England's spinners who have suffered from being a bit too expensive were able to set attacking field placements and really go for the wickets safe in the knowledge that they had a big score to back them up. Rashid especially benefited from this, a bowler who can often let a few few runs go.

England's batters performed well, good pitch or not and Hameed impressed as opener with Cook. Root got a much needed century to set him up for the series and others also contributed well. It may well be a false confidence when they find themselves on a rank turner on another day but the runs and wickets will definitely aid them going into the rest of the series.

India can't be knocked too much for their performance but I certainly found England's bowlers did a better job of controlling things. India will be a little disapointed at their final day performance and while a result was always unlikely and never looked like happening they'd have preferred to have lost a few less wickets. I was only listening but Saha's wicket sounded like the most inevitable thing ever, came out all over the place and gets himself out coming down the pitch swinging while batting out a draw.

--

Anyway, i'm sure the next test will be very different but at least the negativity from the England supporters should be a bit less and the Indians may be a little more weary after i'm sure laughing at England's loss to Bangladesh.

Bring on the next test!

111johnny
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby 111johnny » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:11 pm

English batsmen played really well and they played much better than I anticipated. Indian bowlers especially pacers disappointed me with their approach in the second innings, they should have tried short pitch balls because some of the batsmen were not comfortable against bouncer. Anyway England have proved me wrong with their stunning performance however it's good for the series and I'm eager to see how Indians will approach in the next game especially Ashwin. I have to praise English batsmen strategy against Ashwin, they attacked his ball confidently and didn't give the ball enough time to spin.

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Inplayking. .. No I didn't mean an English style pitch.. I meant a proper test match wicket where there is enough for everyone and it breaks up into day 4 and 5... 3 day test matches on absolute bunsens are the quick way to the death of test match cricket.... it should be a test and Battle of all disciplines....I thought it was a tremendous test wicket. ..

Anyway.. England I thought out bowled India .. However if India had taken some catches on day 1 it could be have been oh so different ....
I thought Rashid bowled superbly but again was cut short by poor captaincy from Cook.. Peppa pig looks more menacing than Ansari and he looks well short of test class. Ali bowled well enough... I am glad Hameed was waited with till India as 4 failures in Bangladesh would have added pressure. He looks a solid player with good technique.

On to match 2 and I have to fancy India on a pitch reported to favour the spin from day 1..India top 5 can score more v spin than England can..

The toss could be vital

fairfranco
Stallion
Tips

Postby fairfranco » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:21 pm

A great day for India, basically the opposite of the first test in the last game with India batting on a flat pitch this time.

England's hopes of winning this test look to be pretty much out the window with India looking like making 500+ and with Kohli on his way to 200 the key time will be when England get in to bat. By the the pitch will have had more wear and with the locals predicting turn by the middle of day 2 it'll be interesting to see how much the Indian bowlers get and how England can get on with the bat.

For me the draw is great value at the moment at 5.3. It will be tough going for England but nothing has shown us they won't be able to bat on this yet and the price will surely collapse if England can get a good start to their innings. A long way away form that yet though with it being unlikely we see them bat till the 3rd session tomorrow.

Great come back from Anderson with 3 wickets on a flat Indian deck.

I'm on Kohli 200 having backed a few run lines of his.

Indian run lines looking nailed on as well.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 am

It's as expected unfortunately, with England looking likely to be chasing 450 on a deteriorating pitch. Stokes & Bairstow batted well once again - highest amount of runs from a 6th wicket partnership in a calendar year, which is super impressive imho. It's a shame there's still too many flaws against a turning ball, but what do you expect when they never go and play in the IPL.

Kohli the best batsman in the world currently on Southern Hemisphere pitches, and showing it once again in this test match.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:48 pm

We had a chance with India 203-6 in the first innings but couldn't finish them off. Still too many batsman giving their wicket away & we were about 100 runs too short in the first innings to put them under any real pressure.
Positives: Hameed, Root, Rashid (slowly warming to him...very slowly I must add)
Negatives: Hameed's injury & Ansari / Batty not good enough at the top level.