International Cricketing Rivalries

someguy4321
Group 3 Class
Tips

International Cricketing Rivalries

Postby someguy4321 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 am

Which international cricket teams have a fierce ODI and/or test match rivalry whereby either side can win the game on the day (i.e. because they're so competitive and closely matched)?

Are there any patterns, trends in world cricket at the moment?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:37 pm

I would suspect location and history still plays a big part in rivalries.

England v Australia

Australia v New Zealand

India v Pakistan

Jamiaca v Barbados

South Africa v Zimbabwe.

As for current enhanced rivalries , the following are the

ICC Test Rankings
1 India
2 Australia
3 South Africa
4 Pakistan
5 England
6 New Zealand
7 Sri Lanka
8 West Indies
9 Bangladesh
10 Zimbabwe

One Day Rankings
1 Australia
2 New Zealand
3 India
4 South Africa
5 Sri Lanka
6 England
7 Bangladesh
8 Pakistan
9 West Indies
10 Afghanistan
11 Ireland
12 Zimbabwe

111johnny
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby 111johnny » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 pm

I think that India v Pakistan are the biggest arch rival. We (Indians) have fought 3 major battles with them and we still have major problem of border and terrorism. I'm and Indian and live in a small town but whenever team India beat Pakistan, all celebrate it like a festival and it's the story of all Indian cities, towns and villages and I think same happens in Pakistani cities. Around 20% people of the world lives in Ind and Pak so you can imagine the atmosphere

someguy4321
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby someguy4321 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:19 pm

I think that India v Pakistan are the biggest arch rival. We (Indians) have fought 3 major battles with them and we still have major problem of border and terrorism. I'm and Indian and live in a small town but whenever team India beat Pakistan, all celebrate it like a festival and it's the story of all Indian cities, towns and villages and I think same happens in Pakistani cities. Around 20% people of the world lives in Ind and Pak so you can imagine the atmosphere
At the present time, I'd consider the India cricket team far superior to the Pakistani (rebuilding) cricket team. Do you agree?

This would be different over the years where teams go through peaks and dips etc.

nellberg1
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nellberg1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:35 pm

The obvious rivalries are England v Australia (The Ashes) and India v Pakistan. This will remain the same even if the games aren't that competitive. For years England took a hiding at the hands of the Aussies but it was still the biggest series around.

Despite being close geographically I'd class Australia v New Zealand in cricket games as pretty tame rivalry, NZ are seen as the "little brother", it's obviously massively different in rugby union.

When Australia were so dominant in the early 2000's, they had a fairly strong rivalry with India. The main reason for this was victory away in India was "the final frontier" for their all-conquering side. Laxman, Dravid and Harbhajan winning the series in 2001 made it an obsession for the Aussies to win away in India, They went back in 2004 and ended a 35 year wait for a Series win in India.