Wales
No votes

Total votes: 29
PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

£200 Six Nations 2017 Tipping Competition and Discussion

Postby PompeyJim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

OLBG are offering members a chance to win a share of £200 in our FREE and easy to enter Six Nations 2017 Tipping Competition.

The Six Nations tournament commences on 4th February and finishes 18th March 2017.

Entry:

You do not have to enter this competition separately. If you are a member of OLBG then you just need to make a Rugby tip (with a comment) in the same way as for the monthly tipping competition, selecting from the Six Nations markets on the tipping menu.

https://www.olbg.com/members/maketip.php?id=10

Prizes:

£50 x 1, £25 x 2, £10 x 10.

The prize structure is £50 to the tipster with the highest level stakes profit at the end of the competition, £25 to second and third and then £10 for members placed 4th-13th. The fund is in addition to the normal monthly prizes which you can still win based on the criteria for the monthly Rugby competition.

As usual, prizes are doubled for Rugby Elite Tipsters and trebled for Super Elite Tipsters. Check details and your current status here if unsure.

http://www.olbg.com/forum/topic5_58372.html

LSP

This means Level Stakes Profit. So it doesn't matter if you select a stake of 50 or 500 for these tips. If you place a win tip on a 5/1 winner, you will then have a LSP of + 5 points. If you then have three losing tips, you lose 1 point per losing tip and your level stakes profit will be down to + 2 points. Members must finish the competition with a positive LSP to be in with a chance of a prize.

Tips 10 or more.

A minimum of 10 tips must be placed on the Six Nations 2017 to qualify and be in with a chance of a prize.

* Please note the minimum tip requirement has been raised to 10 from last year's 5 tip requirement.

Markets Available

All markets available to tip on for the Six Nations 2017 will count towards this competition.

Tipping Table

The competition tipping table will be updated hourly, some results may require manual processing which may not update until the following day.

Tipping Comments

You must add good comment reasoning with your selection when the tip is placed, tips without comments are excluded.
Poor, short comments without detailed reasoning will not count and be deleted from the competition.

Also no copy and pasting of comments across multiple, reasoning must be original and specific to the tip market selected.

Comments will be checked and verified when the tournament has finished so if tipsters can make sure that their comments adhere to the rules, are clear, well written and punctuated as they are displayed on the OLBG website and mobile app for OLBG followers, lots of visitors are now following the advice, so let's show them the quality on offer !!

FEATURES OF A GOOD TIP COMMENT:

- Facts And Stats Relevant To Match Outcome

- Team Form and player news/injuries going into the Six Nations 2017

- Recent head to head records

- Style Of Play And Match Analysis

- Reasons For Your Conclusions

Click the link below for helpful comment guidelines.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61789

To check your tips have registered visit your current tips page.

http://www.olbg.com/members/currenttips.php

After the tournament has concluded the final competition table will be published during the week commencing the 20th March 2017 and prize winners will be confirmed within 14 days after we have completed our final checks for eligible tips and comment quality.

Good luck to all participating members.

Please continue to use this thread throughout the competition for your general Six Nations 2017 thoughts and discussion.

OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Re: £200 Six Nations 2017 Tipping Competition and Discussion

Postby jaydubs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Are the AP markets going to count ?

Eg if I have already backed a winner of the 6 nations or the first round of matches?

Or will it just be a couple of days before the matches

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Are the AP markets going to count ?

Eg if I have already backed a winner of the 6 nations or the first round of matches?

Or will it just be a couple of days before the matches
Hi jaydubs,

Yes, tips with comments on all Six Nations markets/matches placed prior to the first round of matches on 4th Feb will count in the tipping competition.

Good Luck !
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 am

jaydubs knows his Rugby and i suspect will put forum members on to some decent bets in the Six Nations, however we do need some more input and discussion from those who regularly follow Rugby Union.

This is the big tournament of the year and i would hope we can make some profits as we have done in previous years.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Below are the outright and Grand Slam odds. The betting as we can see has it as a 2 horse race.

The deciding game is likely to be Ireland v England on the 17th March (Cheltenham Week) at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

Ireland are away to Scotland, Italy and Wales and at home to England and France.
England are at home to France, Italy and Scotland and away to Wales and Ireland

Six Nations 2017
England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland

Grand Slam 2017
No Grand Slam 1.91
Ireland 6
England 3
Wales 17
France 41
Scotland 101
Italy 250/1

Raffo94
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Raffo94 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm

I never used to be interested in Rugby, apart from watching the odd Scotland game.

However, I got a lot more in to it at the last World Cup and enjoyed betting on it, also making some decent profit just from doing a little research.

Will be giving the tips a bash for this and seeing how I get on, thoroughly looking forward to it. On first glance, it is hard to go against England winning the tournament

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:10 pm

I love watching rugby when it's on but without the time to delve deeper into the game, my knowledge of players etc. is fairly limited.

A couple of questions to those more in the know,

1. I've often thought that home advantage is key in this tournament. Does that hold true? If so, would that make England a viable lay opportunity given that according to the pre tournament odds, their two toughest games are Ireland & Wales, both away from home?

2. How will the bonus points affect the games later in the tournament? Might we see more expansive rugby as teams look to score 4 tries, perhaps opening the games up to some big totals?

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Interesting questions UTR....

I think generally the home team has a large advantage... however in the Wales Ireland game it seems to be the exception to the rule...

England do have injuries to key players and could be only 1 or 2 key injuries away from losing some tough internationals. .. however Eddie has them playing a very good brand of Rugby... Ireland for me are the danger but don't have the depth in key positions either.. personally I wouldnt be laying England but I also wouldn't be betting on them at those odds...

Lastly I am not sure the bonus points will play into this too much.. its all about winning the grand slam and win 5 games.. you win it...simple

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Does anyone look back at scores in previous years to see if we can get some idea of the individual points totals in games?

The bookmakers have to predict these points totals so the will be getting the stats and history from somewhere, which would include previous results.

Is there a match that has had a similar outcome in previous seasons that we could base our points totals on?

Raffo94
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby Raffo94 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:37 am

Does anyone look back at scores in previous years to see if we can get some idea of the individual points totals in games?

The bookmakers have to predict these points totals so the will be getting the stats and history from somewhere, which would include previous results.

Is there a match that has had a similar outcome in previous seasons that we could base our points totals on?

For this tournament, I'd personally look at general recent results, results from the last Six Nations, results from the World Cup and previous results head to head, to try and gauge a rough idea of how many points there could be. Not saying that's the right or wrong way but that's how I'll most likely approach it and it's personally landed more times than not for me using that procedure.

I'm intrigued to see if they'll maybe knock up the total points tallies slightly due to this bonus points that does create the possibility of more open matches, can't see it though if I'm honest.

w4ntedman
Handicapper
Tips

Postby w4ntedman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:41 am

Regarding more tries due to the bonus point system I heard an interesting point on the radio during the week (can't remember who it was sadly-half listening while driving) and I've gone back to check. It seems when the value of a try went from 3 to 4 the number of tries went down (1970 vs 1971). Similar results (but starker) when the value went from 4 to 5 (1992 vs 1993). So beware the law of unintended consequences.
Where difference may be greater is that teams who are effectively beaten may be more inclined to play on in the hope of getting a losing BP/ preventing opponents scoring a fourth try.
This is hardly proof of anything but interesting nonetheless.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

For those unaware of the new points system this is from the Daily Telegraph.
Mirroring the system used in the Aviva Premiership, Guinness Pro12 and World Cup, victories will count for four points with a bonus point being awarded for teams who score four or more tries.

A losing bonus point will also go to teams losing by seven points or fewer, meaning that a side could lose a match but still gain two­ ­bonus points. A draw will now be worth two points. Under the previous system, a win was worth two points and a draw one.

To ensure that a team winning all their games are not usurped by a team who have gained six bonus points, Grand Slam winners will be awarded three additional points.