2016 Masters - 10th to 17th January - Discussion

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

2016 Masters - 10th to 17th January - Discussion

Postby tbuckley » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello there fellow snooker fans and punters, hope you've had a great Christmas and new year celebrations, all the better if you've had a successful time of it on the snooker punting front since I last got involved with the UK Championships back in November.

It's major snooker tournament time again in a weeks time with the Dafabet 2016 Masters taking place at Alexandra Palace between January 10th to January 17th.

The Masters is a non ranking event no ranking points/places up for grabs but it's undoubtedly one of the top snooker tournaments there is and only bettered by the World Championship and the UK Championship.

The top 16 players in the world are all set to clash and I'm really looking forward to it starting, watching and enjoying the guaranteed brilliant snooker will be the main focus for me but I'm also looking forward to having a few bonus bets to add some extra interest.

For those interested I've done a blog covering the tournament with the full 1st round draw listed along with how the draw works out ie which match winners potentially play each other, I've provided the ante-post betting list, facts and figures from previous finals and my ante-post views on the tournament :-

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410420

In terms of reasoning behind my selections then you can read that on the blog, just for information purposes my 2 ante-post bets against the high quality Masters field are NEIL ROBERTSON 3pts e/w at 4/1 and MARK SELBY 2pts e/w at 7/1, 1/2 odds 2 places.

Thankfully Neil Robertson delivered for me and for my blog followers in the UK Championships and I think he's the man to beat again in the Masters, also feel that Mark Selby will be massively motivated to get back winning big tournaments against and I'm sure he would have been working very hard to get fully prepared to go for another Masters win, basically I think Robertson and Selby have everything required to be Masters champion again as they've both won it before.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is predictably favourite at 7/2 but I can't have that, even if he ends up being completely brilliant and wins it again, I personally don't believe 7/2 is anywhere near the right price, others may disagree but I can't back him given his lack of tournament snooker and proper, intense match play.

The tournament is a week away and I can't wait for it to start, really will be something to look forward to next week, looking forward to having a great discussion on the tournament and finding out who people fancy, what types of bets you'll be doing while the tournament is on, whatever views you have on the 2016 Masters this is the place to discuss it and everybody welcome to join in.
Loving it on OLBG, on twitter @tbuckleythinks :

Top 10 Football Tip markets

Football Tips Strategy to Win

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:45 am

Masters starts on Sunday with reigning Masters champion Shaun Murphy taking on Mark Allen, here is the draw for the first round :

Shaun Murphy v Mark Allen (Match 1)
Barry Hawkins v Joe Perry (Match 2)
Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire (Match 3)
Neil Robertson v Marco Fu (Match 4)
Mark Selby v Ricky Walden (Match 5)
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Williams (Match 6)
John Higgins v Liang Wenbo (Match 7)
Stuart Bingham v Ding Junhui (Match 8)

link to my full Masters blog with historical stats, views and draw :-

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410420

looking forward to seeing people join in with views and tips for the Masters, everybody welcome to join in and offer views on what should be a fantastic tournament.

joannemalone1
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby joannemalone1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Red Harry posted

What a tournament to start with, have been waiting for this to pit my wits and get a decent idea of where we are at before the big one in April.

Anyhow, To get things started, I feel the top half is the easier draw, with Selby as a stand out. He is a player that I think plays for the latter half of the season and the triple crown events.

He played really well in the UK's but Robertson was in the zone and was not going to be beaten. Afterwards, Selby gave an interview which supported my view that he is looking to peak now and later, knowing he has not quite been on song just yet.

In the other half of the draw, I like the look of Robertson or Trump, and in this instance I think Trump is coming into form, with a good run of play in the league last week. He is a showman and loves the venue and honestly, he knows he has to win this and / or the WC for him to have a half decent year.

* I do not dismiss the rocket easily, but I just do not think you can semi retire and then turn up and win. His age, hunger and desire have rightly declined, you cannot rule him out, but not as a favourite.

I have gone for Selby E/W so getting to the final gives me a profit. In real life, I have done the same with Trump, on OLBG, have had a straight win saver on Trump.

Here is hoping for a Selby vs Trump Final

....If this post sparks discussion, I will put my daily tips in summary daily.

For now, I think the below:

Murphy to bt Allen
Wengbo to bt Higgins
Ding to bt Bingham

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:07 pm

Am I the only one thinking 1.90 for Bingham to dispatch Ding tonight is great value, he has a 9-4 head to head and has won the last 6 meetings at a table
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello Man O Bong hope you are well mate, I think you are spot on with your vote for Bingham vs Ding being good value.

I know Ding is a great snooker talent but I could never back him or tip him to win any match with any confidence because I don't think he has the right mental approach, concentration or attitude to win tough matches and given the incredible depth in snooker today most matches are tough.

I was at York to watch Ding get beaten as a 1/20 shot in the opening round of the UK Championship, he started slowly and he visibly looked to lose focus straight away, his opponent Adam Duffy deserved to win but Ding definitely didn't help himself with his attitude and I've seen him do that too many times to have any confidence in him.

Bingham is top class, obviously he's a World Champion, and he can win matches by playing brilliant or also tough matches out, Ding has to be brilliant to win matches, so yes I would fancy Bingham to win.

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:31 pm

Great to get the views of Red Harry, some very good points made and plenty that I agree with

I talk about not seeing the validity of not backing Ronnie O'Sullivan in my blog, like you I don't like the profile of not playing tournament snooker, I just don't see how he can be favourite for the tournament given the form and class of all the others, I would back any of Murphy, Trump, Selby, Robertson and Higgins to beat Ronnie and wouldn't be surprised in anybody else beat him either.

I am on Selby and Robertson, I quoted 7/1 Selby but I saw 8/1 available and hope people fancying Selby got that.

With regards to how the opening match of Murphy vs Allen has gone then it's been fascinating stuff so far after 4 frames, 2-2 at the interval and it looks a fairly even game but Murphy looks more likely to win frames with one chance, from this point I would say perhaps Murphy 6-4 but overall just enjoying watching the snooker again.

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 pm

I think Ding has a weakness and this sounds a bit bonkers, but if anyone plays a fearless game against him, he crumbles

If his opponent is cautious, he has the time to be more flamboyant himself. Bingham has plainly got him weighed up on the mental side if recent form is anything to go by

as a side note, i was very much on the side of Murphy in the first game today but Allen is flying now - a 137 total clearance in frame 3 and he has hit another century and a 91 since to lead 5-3
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

joannemalone1
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby joannemalone1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Ding Junhui had a good record in the tournament when it was held at the Wembley conference centre getting to the final in 2007 and winning in 2011 he hasn't won a match in the tournament since losing in the last 16.

Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-4 in 2012
Neil Robertson 6-5 in 2013
Shaun Murphy 6-4 in 2014
Joe Perry 6-3 in 2015

Stuart Bingham has never got past the last 16 in six previous attempts losing to

Judd Trump 6-3 in 2012
Mark Selby 6-5 in 2013
John Higgins 6-2 in 2014
Marco Fu 6-3 in 2015

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Mark Allen deservedly won the match due to him playing well but also Murphy clearly not being fully at it, Murphy at his best should be too good for Allen but he clearly wasn't and all summed up for me by that ridiculous 3 misses which cost him the frame, I just don't understand how that can happen to a professional snooker player.

I greatly respect Mark Allen's snooker ability and he is dangerous but I really don't see Allen winning the tournament and those in that half of the draw will be happy Murphy is out as he's a proven major tournament winner.

I'm not betting on the Bingham match but I would think he's the most likely winner and I hope he does as I like his character and they way he talks, Ding just looks either too serious or not interested.

TeddyT
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Trump through against Maguire but I can't say I was overly impressed.

The BBC interviewed Trump afterwards and he sounds very low on confidence.

Interesting to see how he gets on in the next round, especially if he plays Robertson
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

horsetaylor
At Stud
Tips

Postby horsetaylor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:55 pm

There is a market on bet365 for Ronnie O Sullivan to make a century within frames 1 - 4, that is at 7/4, That is one hell of a price and rates the bet of the match for Rocket Ronnie. No doubt that you will be collecting on this one. Quite a large bet placed on this outcome for me. Rates the bet of the day.

TeddyT
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:56 pm

O'Sullivan looked very fortunate to get through against Williams imo.

Ronnie looked well off his usual level and mentioned in the after match interview that his recent back problem is meaning he is struggling to line up his shots properly.

Williams seemed to push the boat out way too often and if he had been slightly more conservative I feel sure he would have won today.

O'Sullivan a best priced 9/4 now but given how negative he was when being interviewed that price would not appeal to me at all.
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager