UK Championship - York, 24th November - 6th December 2015

joannemalone1
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby joannemalone1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Ding Junhui out of the tournament losing to Adam Duffy 6-2.

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 am

Well this time last night/this morning I was driving around Yorkshire lost and not having a clue where to go thanks to the great decision to shut major motorway near York and then have diversion that just directed you in a loop back to York........ :no:

anyway, the positive reason for being in York was to enjoy a fantastic nights snooker at the Barbican Theatre and I was there to see the first night session of the UK Championships and I've got to say it was a fantastic experience.

I had the great pleasure of experiencing live snooker at the Crucible back in April and that was fantastic and had a brilliant intensity and atmosphere, so I wanted to see what it was like watching snooker in a different venue.

I've got to say I thought the set up at the Barbican was fantastic, there were 8 night matches scheduled and I was able to have a brilliant, clear view of 4 matches at the same time.

The main focus of the night was Din Junhui on one table and Anthony McGill on the table next to him, but I was fascinated just to see how the different players played and watch many new names I'd admittedly never heard of before.

The standard of snooker was very high, certainly coming from the cue of Anthony McGill as he hit 3 stunning centuries, basically clearing the table after his opponent James Cahill had made just 1 mistake each time, incredible and ruthlessly efficient snooker from McGill and it clearly left Cahill feeling mentally shattered by it, Cahill played pretty well and took the 1 frame I saw him very well but it was obvious having his mistakes punished by heavy centuries did knock the stuffing out of him, credit to him for taking 3 frames in the end as McGill won it 6-3 - in that kind of ruthless frame winning form then McGill will be a big danger if he maintains that.

As I said Ding Junhui was the other main focal point and he was up against Adam Duffy, a name I'd never come across before last night but I can tell you I know who he is now because he was really impressive, he showed real composure and snooker ability to take the first 3 frames, Ding Junhui was never really at it and his body language said a lot, Ding did get a couple back but Duffy made it 4-2 just before I left and he went on to shock Ding and the snooker world by winning the match 6-2, Adam Duffy totally deserved that success and I hope he plays as well round 2.

Liang Wenbo vs Gareth Allen was one of the other matches and Lian Wenbo certainly looked to hit some good form in that game finishing off with some excellent potting and big breaks, he easily won 6-1 and he'll fancy he can do some damage in the next round or so.

Michael White vs Sydney Wilson looked to be the scrappiest match of the 4 I was watching and it was a match where the momentum kept swinging, firstly Wilson started well and Michael White looked to be struggling, then White turned it around with good play to lead 4, and then it turned back again with Wilson winning it 6-5.

It was a brilliant experience to watch them play live and it really does make you understand and appreciate the incredible levels of skill, mental strength, focus and composure that they have to show all of the time, it was just brilliant to watch.

I'm looking forward to the live TV snooker for the 2nd round at the weekend and that might be when I start having a few little punts on correct frame scores etc, would be great to get other people's views on this tournament and find out what bets people are doing.

So come on snooker fans and punters, get involved with your valued thoughts, bets etc and see what we can come up with.
Loving it on OLBG, on twitter @tbuckleythinks :

Top 10 Football Tip markets

Football Tips Strategy to Win

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Well the snooker action seems to have stepped up a few levels with the TV cameras now knocking about the Barbican at York and I've really enjoyed the action so far this weekend.

I only caught the last frame of Bingham's match against Anthony Hamilton but what a frame it was with a brilliant 143 clearance, that put him in the lead for the highest break after edging past Anthony McGill who had started his 1st round match with a brilliant 142.

I though John Higgins looked impressive again in his 2nd round win, got the job comfortably enough and he'll be tough to beat from here on in given his early tournament form.

Mark Selby has looked very good so far this afternoon and currently lead 4-0, I was tempted to back him ante-post but didn't and I'm slightly thinking have I made a mistake because he looks very strong, he could well end up making me regret not backing him, either way I enjoy watching him play.

One of the players I did back ante-post was Shaun Murphy and he's looked very confident and in control so far, again he's another one who looks in fine form and clearly I hope he goes all the way to the final at least for the Each Way money.

My other ante-post bet was Neil Robertson and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes tonight, he should win well and set up himself for a serious attempt at this tournament I think he's the one to beat but he's in Selby's half of the draw and it could come down to be between those 2 for a shot a the final.

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Top 8 in the betting, looks very open according to bet365 betting.

Neil Robertson 5.5
Mark Selby 6
Judd Trump 5.5
Shaun Murphy 7.5
John Higgins 11
Mark Allen 13
Stuart Bingham 17
Stephen Maguire 26

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:38 pm

Cheers for the betting update Nigel.

It looks as open and tough to confidently call the winner as it did before the tournament started.

In the blog I did covering the championships I went for Each Way punts on NEIL ROBERTSON at 11/2 and SHAUN MURPHY at 8/1

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410090

part of the blog covers the potential effects of the draw before the 128 player tournament started, trying to work out the draw was tough in itself never mind working out who could play who and when.

I will say that so far most of the games have gone basically how I thought they would, obviously the early defeat of Ding Junhui wasn't in the plan, I never fancy Ding to win any tournament really because he always seems to sulk and lose concentration when he misses, the very best, top tournament winners don't lose concentration.

I was also surprised by the 2nd round defeats for Joe Perry and Anthony McGill, especially after being at McGill's first round match and watching him knock in 3 top class big century breaks, to see he got beat 6-4 by Luca Brecel was a big shock to me based on that, full credit though to Luca Brecel for that win and clearly it's very important to note all players are respected.

McGill and Joe Perry were in Mark Selby's part of the draw and both potential quarter final opponents for him, I now feel that the draw has really opened up for Selby to really have a very strong run at the Semi Finals, I was really tempted to back Selby ante-post and I've got to say I'm actually very tempted to add him at 5/1 to my bets on Robertson and Murphy.

pre-tournament I'd done educated guesswork on the draw, that's all you can do, and this is how I'd got the potential quarter finals to look :-

Bingham vs Mark Allen
Trump vs Shaun Murphy
Robertson vs Higgins
McGill vs Selby

and from that I'd guessed the semi finals could be :

Allen vs Murphy
Robertson vs Selby

now obviously McGill has already been knocked out so that's why I say it really does open in up for Mark Selby, as I write this Bingham is 3-2 down against Ebdon.

Mark Allen's section of the draw was really opened up by Ding Junhui getting beaten so early, so like Selby, Mark Allen theoretically has a more straightforward run to the semi finals, but again I must say all players are respected and nobody can actually be easily dismissed, they are all clearly top class snooker players.

So I'm on MURPHY and ROBERTSON Each Way and that's my dream final, but it quite honestly could be any of those top players noted that wins it and so I'll hope I get right and treat a winning bet as a huge bonus, primarily I'll just enjoy the fantastic snooker.

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Peter Ebdon deservedly beat Bingham who looked out of form and to be lacking confidence, respect to Ebdon for his win but surely the stronger players will be too good for him and I'm expecting Mark Allen to win that section of the draw now.

All thoughts welcome.

TeddyT
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Mark Allen in trouble againt Martin Gould. :unlucky:

Lots of shocks so far this week. Could we see another unexpected champion?
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Hello mate, yes the shocks have come, we watched Adam Duffy deservedly beat Ding Junhui who was a ridiculous 1/20 shot to win, since then I've been surrprised by McGill getting beaten, Bingham getting beat and as you say Mark Allen in trouble today.

Mark Selby only just scraped through and I don't know how he did it, honestly any other player would have been beaten by Jamie Jones, the fact Selby got through that makes him a major threat in my opinion.

I'm on MURPHY e/w at 8/1 and ROBERTSON e/w at 11/2, I tipped and backed MURPHY to win 6-2 at 4/1 and gladly he's just done that and I think he's playing very well.

let's see how ROBERTSON goes tonight, I'm on him -2.5 frames on handicap and also to win 6-1 at 11/2 for a little fun punt.

joannemalone1
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby joannemalone1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Thepchaiya Un Nooh so unlucky missing the final black for the maximum

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:25 am

Yes you are spot on Joanne, it was unreal to watch Un Nooh produce such an incredible break only to miss what looked a very simple, straightforward black for that magical 147 and £44,000 prize, missing that black will haunt him for a very a long time.

Regarding that match I honestly don't quite know how Neil Robertson made it through because he was pretty poor and scrappy in quite a few of the frames, he did show real class in a couple to win frames he shouldn't have but realistically Un Nooh could quite easily have won 6-2/6-3 today and Robertson wouldn't have anything to moan about.

The fact Robertson has got through is very much like Selby getting through last night, now they've got through very tough games they will both believe they can go all the way, they are scheduled to meet in the semi finals if all goes to plan but Robertson has to face John Higgins first.

Regarding the other half then I had a punt on MURPHY to win on Tuesday by 6-2 at 4/1 and also -2.5 frames on the handicap at slightly odds on so he collected on both and apparently he looked very good.

That half of the draw has opened up massively today with Mark Allen and Judd Trump both getting knocked out and now I'm pretty certain SHAUN MURPHY will really fancy his chances of getting to the final, I hope so as I'm on at 8/1 Each Way.

TeddyT
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm

I can't remember a snooker major event like this where there have been so many upsets.

I was particularly disappointed with Judd Trump. I watched him go 4-1 up and thought he looked to be on top form and when I switched back it looked like I had taken over playing as the shots he was missing were just dreadful.

I quite fancy Luca Brecel tonight. Matt Selt doesn't sound very confident in his form and he seems to have toughed it through his matches whereas it has looked fairly comfortable for Brecel. The youngster seems to be scoring much heavier so I'll go with him to win fairly comfortably.

Brecel to beat Selt @ 10/11
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

tbuckley
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby tbuckley » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:47 pm

as posted in my blog :-

"For the other half of the Draw then the high class, rock solid trio of proven winners NEIL ROBERTSON, JOHN HIGGINS and MARK SELBY are all together and only 1 of those 3 high class contenders can get to the final let alone win it.

My educated guesswork has it that JOHN HIGGINS and NEIL ROBERTSON might actually clash in 1 quarter final and if that happens that will definitely be a game I'd love to watch as it could be a classic.

Calling that potential heavyweight clash would be much tougher to do with confidence but right now I'd rather have money on NEIL ROBERTSON to get through that as I John Higgins faces a tougher battle to get to the Quarters and facing 2013 UK Champion Robertson could be one tough test too many for him, he'll certainly fight all the way though.

MARK SELBY has a very strong, solid recent pedigree in the UK Championships, winning it in 2012 and Runner Up in 2013, he's a proven winner of all the major tournaments, he can with brilliance and he can also win by grinding players down, fighting away to come back from seemingly impossible situations and I feel this tournament is set up for him to have a major say in it.

Of course nothing is straightforward, I've admittedly based my thought process on working out the draw, it's all I can honestly do, but looking at the Draw, at MARK SELBY's pedigree he looks to have a major, major chance to be at least a Semi Finalist and therefore win it outright.

My system has it that former UK and World Champions NEIL ROBERTSON and MARK SELBY may well clash in the 2nd Semi Final, to give a repeat of the 2013 final when ROBERTSON beat Selby 10-7, and it's another match that could be a UK Championship classic.

Indeed if I had the choice and control to choose the finalists for this UK Championship I would choose NEIL ROBERTSON and MARK SELBY as I feel they are the 2 very best, most complete players around so in some ways it's a shame that they'll have to fight it out in a Semi Final at best.

Potentially deciding which of NEIL ROBERTON or MARK SELBY will win that battle is really tough but again right now I think form, confidence and momentum are massive in snooker and nobody can be more confident than NEIL ROBERTSON who has just won the Champion of Champions tournament, he's won all the major tournaments and at 11/2 I feel he is a solid Each Way bet for the tournament.

My Ante-Post Selections for 2015 Betway UK Snooker Championships
1pt Each Way SHAUN MURPHY at 8/1
2pts Each Way NEIL ROBERTSON at 11/2"

as you can see my pre-tournament Draw thoughts had it that Robertson vs Higgins would be a Quarter Final clash and that it could well be Robertson vs Selby in the Semi Final - well we now know of course that Robertson got past Higgins 6-5 in the Quarter Final and clashes today with Selby in the Semi Final.

Now I don't mean offence to Liang Wenbo, who I said I had watched play very well in the first round and did say he could be dangerous in that form, or to David Grace as both of them have done great to get to a Semi Final but I do wish it was Robertson vs Selby in the Final, they are the best two players in the world and it is a shame one of them goes out today.

Of course I want it to be ROBERTSON that gets through so that my ante-post bet on him at 11/2 is still alive but no doubt this is his toughest test and as I said earlier in this discussion I am regretting not backing Selby as well.

Today's match can honestly go either way, wouldn't surprise me to see a last frame shoot out for a 6-5 win either way, I do expect it to be at least 6-4 either way, on that Robertson is 11/2 to win 6-4 or 6/5, Selby is around 13-2 to win 6-4 or 6-5.

I'm very happy with my ante-post position on ROBERTSON at 11/2 e/w at 1/2 and I do believe he can get through against Selby, it won't be easy of course but so far Selby has given most of his opponents chances in quite a lot of the frames and I don't think he can get away with that against Robertson, Robertson has played better overall in my opinion and I think ROBERTSON will edge it.