PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK FIFTEEN w/c Mon August 28th (US OPEN!!!)

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK FIFTEEN w/c Mon August 28th (US OPEN!!!)

Postby undertherobe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Monday August 28th and it's the final Grand Slam of the year in New York
Events this week
August 28th - Sept 10th ATP US Open (Hard) - Grand Slam
August 28th - Sept 10th WTA US Open (Hard) - Grand Slam

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. As with the French Open & Wimbledon, members can select TWO players, ONE each from the men's & women's event.

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows (double points for the Grand Slam already applied in the list below):

If your player wins: 80 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 40 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 20 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 10 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

Also, don't forget that OLBG are running another £500 tipping competition for US Open. Here's the link to the rules for that competition

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64284

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK FIFTEEN w/c Mon August 28th (US OPEN!!!)

Postby The rabbit » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:34 pm

WTA US Open

Karolina Pliskova 6/1 has improved a lot in the last couple of years and won two WTA tournaments in 2016 and she has won three WTA tournaments so far this year. Six of her WTA titles have been obtained on hard courts so she will enjoy playing on the hard surface at this Grand Slam. She has a powerful serve and can serve plenty of aces ( she served more aces than any other player on the WTA tour in 2016 ) and she reached the final here in 2016 but was beaten in 3 sets by Angelique Kerber after looking the likely winner at one stage. I think that she will have learned a lot from that experience which was her first appearance in a Grand Slam final. She seems happy in her personal life as she has recently got engaged and I think that she will have the right temperament to win the U.S. Open this year.

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 pm

US Open - Mens Draw

Grigor Dimitrov - 18/1 Betfred, WinnerSports

The bottom half of the draw is the place to be now with no Murray and the main beneficiaries look to be previous US Open winner Cilic and Sascha Zverev. Cilic has not played since struggling with injury in the one sided Wimbledon final and he lost his three previous hard courts matches back in March. I think the value has gone now with Zverev trying to win his first slam plus there are still possible tricky looking match ups with Anderson, Sock, Querrey and Tsonga. So I'm going to go with the man in form in the top half in Grigor Dimitrov who arrives having probably played some of the best tennis of his career when winning in Cincinnati beating Del Potro, Isner and rejuvenated Kyrgios without dropping a set throughout. He may have Rafa in the quarter final who he took to a brilliant five setter in the semi in the Australian Open and Rafa has lost his last two hard court matches to Shapavalov and Kyrgios. Federer is a possible semi opponent who lost to Zverev in Montreal and had to battle to get past Ferrer in the second round. Grigor won earlier in the year in Brisbane prior to the Aussie Open beating Raonic, Nishikori and Thiem and whilst confidence would be a deal greater if in the bottom half here, I think his current level of form gives him an excellent chance of winning his first slam without five of the world's top eleven players here.

US Open - Ladies Draw

Madison Keys - 18/1 WinnerSports

Ladies draw looks as open as previous slams this year without Serena, not sure current number one Pliskova has improved her game since bursting onto the scene here last year making the final, Halep still comes up short for me on this surface and has a tricky first round tie against Sharapova. Konta I feel will also come up short when it matters which leads it wide open and I've gone for Madison Keys who is relatively fresh having not played from the end of last October until March due to injury. As a result she has just played 19 matches this year, 12 on this surface losing just 3 and recently took the title in Montreal beating Wimbledon champ Muguruza and then Vandeweghe in the final. She lost to Muguruza in the third round in Cincinnati in a final set tie break but I think that little run of eight matches will just put the edge on her game. Her first test in the draw could be Svitolina who looked unbeatable recently in Toronto beating Muguruza, Halep, Venus and Wozniacki. She was then beaten by Georges in the second round in Cincinnati which was disappointing so she may have peaked a little too soon. Madison won't reach Muguruza until the final which is a bonus and I feel she'll give us a run for our money, fellow American Sloane Stephens is also interesting at decent odds after returning from an enforced absence and showing some old sparkle recently.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 pm

I think the value has gone now with Zverev
From 28/1 just 4 weeks to 11/2 now. Very little in value at that price. Undoubted quality but has yet to shine in a Grand Slam and will now be expected to reach at least the QF. It's got to be Marin Cilic for me. He's sensibly been resting whilst his rivals have been falling apart and will be full of confidence having reached his 1st Wimbledon Final. Of course, he has previous in New York, winning in 2014 and his warm-up then was nothing to write home about, falling in the 3rd round in both Toronto and Cincinnati.

He's the beneficiary of Murray's withdrawal, and faces off against Sandgren rather than Simon in round one and the US Open is statistically his best Grand Slam, with a 27-7 record, a win in 2014 and SF in 2015. It's going to be Federer or Nadal from the top half, but the bottom is anyone's to win, and with his history at this event, and the fact he's well rested, the stars may align once more for the Croatian.

Marin Cilic @ 18/1

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Agreed the value on Zverev has gone down too much but I really can't see him not making the final with that draw.

I'm going with Kyrgios @22/1

Always annoying picking this man with his history as he could easily go against form and logic to lose to Millman or Jaziri in the first two rounds simply because a pigeon looked at him wrong but he made the final of Cinci and is tough to stop in top form.

Potential opponents...

R3 - Kohlschreiber - Beat the German who hasn't been great this year in straight sets at the French Open a few months ago so should be a win.
R4 - Federer - Injured in Montreal and exposed in the final by Zverev so that could be a factor. Played six sets against Kyrgios and they've all gone to tie breakers with the head to head at 1-1 so I think Nick has as good a chance as anyone.
QF - Bautista or Thiem - Should have too much power for the former whilst Thiem has struggled in 2017.
SF - Nadal - Not been great outside of clay for me this year and got crushed in Cinci a few weeks ago by Kyrgios.
F - Never know with Kyrgios and I do think he'd lose to Zverev or even Cilic but I'm backing him EW anyway.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:51 pm

That was painful last night watching Kokkinakis blow a 2 set lead :(

The rain has hit tonight and once again at a Grand Slam, it's advantage Nadal & Federer as those two (assuming Fed wins later) will be safely through to the 2nd round and can rest tomorrow whilst the rest of their rivals in the top half have to come back to either finish or start off their matches.

I wonder if Tiafoe, under the lights, and as one of the great US hopes for the future, can play the match of his life and shock Federer? I'm tempted to have a little nibble of the 16/1 with Boylesports. He's as low as 9/1 in places

Gracjanos87
2yo
Tips

Postby Gracjanos87 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Hello
I think sloane stephens will go far in this tournament and also Schwartzman D. who plays at the moment with the Cilic.