PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK THIRTEEN w/c Mon Aug 14th

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK THIRTEEN w/c Mon Aug 14th

Postby undertherobe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Monday August 14th. US Open preparation moves back below the border this week as the 2nd big warm-up event for final Slam of the season takes place in Cincinnati.

Events this week
Aug 13th - Aug 20th ATP Cincinnati (Hard) - ATP 1000
Aug 14th - Aug 20th WTA Cincinnati (Hard) - WTA Premier 5

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. Just ONE entry per member please.

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows (already adjusted x1.5 due to the level of the events this week):

If your player wins: 60 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 30 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 15 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 7.5 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK THIRTEEN w/c Mon Aug 14th

Postby titans choice » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Johanna Konta BetVictor 14/1
Picking Johanna Konta to win this tournament she has played here just once and she made it to the round 16 stage but she is seeded number 7 and she has a bye in the first round.In the second round she should face Bertens and these 2 players have played each other 2 times and they have both won 1 each but i think Konta will be good enough to beat her.In the round 16 stage she might face Cibulkova again these 2 players have played 2 times and both have won 1 match each but Cibulkova has played here 3 times losing in round 1 2 times and making it to the round 16 stage once so she has not had the best of times here.In the quarter-finals she should face Halep and she has done well here before playing here the last 3 years making it to the quarter-finals once the finals once and in the other year she made it to the semi-finals stage and she was going to be my original pick.But the head to head between Halep and Konta made me change my pick as they have played each other 3 times and Konta has managed to win all of them and 2 of them was played on hard courts.Konta did lose her 2nd round match at Toronto in her last tournament but i am hoping that was just a blip as she won at Sydney then made it to the quarter-finals at the Australian Open and she also won at Miami and all of them tournaments was played on hard courts so i think she has a good chance of at least making it to the semi;finals in this tournament.

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 am

Federer's injury (although I'm not convinced it's anywhere near as bad as the commentators made out) could throw this draw wide open. I now see that Nishikori has withdrew as well, not that he'd have done any damage.

Querrey looks in a good spot of the draw.

R1: Kozlov - Fellow American, should be straight forward.
R2: Haase/Mannarino - Both in decent form but Mannarino seemed less than best physically at the end of last week and I just can't take Haase seriously.
R3: Thiem/Fognini - Two very different opponents. Thiem can't get going this year and is suffering some poor defeats. Fognini is Fognini, anything can happen.
QF: Ferrer/Johnson/Verdasco/Tipsarevic - Looks pretty simple now Nishikori has decided not to play.
SF: Nadal - There's a few big hitters (Muller/Tsonga/Karlovic/Kyrgios) who could knock Nadal out earlier given his hard court form and Querrey is definitely one of them as he destroyed him in Acapulco a few months ago. It would be a tight affair against any of the other big hitters I mentioned.

The likes of A Zverev (surely fatigue will set in during this week?), Federer (injury concern) and Raonic (bad form) suggests that it could be a tournament someone like Querrey manages to steal.

The market it closed at the moment but I'll check in a few hours. Looks like Querrey is around 40/1 - 50/1 and he's my player of the week.

Edit: 40/1 with bet365
Last edited by rustie on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:24 am

I probably would have gone for John Isner in the men's side had he not already played his 1st round match. He enjoys playing in the States & has reached the final in Cincinnati back in 2013.

Outside of that, I think both the men's & women's is pretty open this week. For that reason, I'm going with the young American CiCi Bellis. She reached the SF in Stanford and won a couple of rounds in Toronto. She'll be top 10 by this time next year and all she needs to learn is how to follow up a big win. Her defeat in Stanford came after she destroyed Kvitova whilst she couldn't follow up her win over Kuznetsova in Toronto.

The 2 seeded players in her section before the QF are Cibulkova & Konta, neither of whom looked particularly comfortable in Toronto. Halep would be a big step up in a potential QF but I think think could be the week that Bellis takes the next step.

CiCi Bellis @ 66/1 (Unibet)

Fredgarv
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Fredgarv » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 pm

ATP Cincinnati Roger Federer
Sorry guys you don't have to be a brain surgeon for this Federer is just about the form man although beaten by zverev yesterday in straight sets he is still the man for this winning it two of the last three years and 7 times in recent history last years finalists don't turn up Cilic and Murray along with Djokovic missing makes the task easier and Nadal still struggling on the hard stuff.

In the women's version I like Dodin to upset Bertens in the first round the Dutch lady must be low on confidence on hard with 6 losses from last 7 matches.

Forget it just read the top post The Fed injured.

MILOS RAONIC.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Federer withdraws, perhaps unsurprisingly. Does this open the draw up even more? Or had members already factored in a potential early exit for Fed?

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm

My pick on Bellis went well :?

If Gasquet can play like he did last week against Zverev then he's got half a chance against Nadal.

Fredgarv
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Fredgarv » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Just noticed Raonic pulled out what is going on in men's tennis Cincinnati is a decent event and seems no one wants to win it they would rather stay at home and watch women's rugby

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Week 13 Results

Titans Choice - Jo Konta @ 14/1 (WTA Cincinnati) - lost in QF 15 points (double points as selection over 8/1)
rustie - Sam Querrey @ 40/1 (ATP Cincinnati) - lost in 2nd round 0 points
undertherobe - CiCi Bellis @ 66/1 (WTA Cincinnati) - lost in 1st round 0 points