PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK ELEVEN w/c Mon July 31st

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK ELEVEN w/c Mon July 31st

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 am

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Monday July 31st. Another five events to choose from this week with the US Masters 1000 events on the horizon as the US Open warm-up events gather pace

Events this week
July 31st - Aug 6th ATP Washington (Hard) - ATP 500
July 31st - Aug 5th ATP Los Cabos (Hard) - ATP 250
July 31st - Aug 5th ATP Kitzbuhel (Clay) - ATP 250
July 31st - Aug 6th WTA Stanford (Hard) - WTA Premier
July 31st - Aug 6th WTA Washington (Hard) - WTA International

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. Just ONE entry per member please.

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows:

If your player wins: 40 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 20 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 10 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 5 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK ELEVEN w/c Mon July 31st

Postby The rabbit » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:12 am

WTA Washington

Simona Halep should win this comfortably but her odds are short and she is prone to injury so I will go with Camila Giorgi at longer odds of 18/1. She is in the opposite half to Simona so can only play her in the final if they both get that far. Camila can hit the ball very hard but tends to make too many double faults and can suffer from the jitters on important points but she has won one WTA event and has played quite well lately with a QF finish in Birmingham. She then beat Madison Keys at Wimbledon before losing to this year's French Open winner Jelena Ostapenko in 2 sets but performed better than the final score suggests & should have won one of those sets really. Could play Kristina Mladenovic in 2nd round and if she can win that then she has a good chance of making it to the final. Reached the QF stage here in 2016.

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Washington Bet Victor 10/1 Juan Del Potro
Picking Juan Martin Del Potro to do well in this tournament as he likes it here playing here in 2008,2009 and 2013 and he won it every time.He has won 202 times on hard courts and lost 81 he has 15 times so far this year and lost 8.He is seeded 13th and he is in the bottom section of the bottom half of the draw and in his section he is in the same section as the number 2 seed Nishikori and these 2 players have played 6 times with Del Potro winning 5 and 2 of Del Potro's wins have came on hard courts.In the quarter-finals the 2 seeded players he can face are Muller or Pouile he has played Muller twice beating him both times and both have been on hard courts.He has faced Pouile just once and he lost but that was at Wimbledon.If things go his way he might face Dimitrov in the semi-finals as he is the 4th seed in this tournament and these 2 players have played 5 times with Del Potro winning all 5 3 of them on hard courts.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:46 pm

I like the look of Ivo Karlovic once again in Los Cabos. He won the inaugural tournament last year, and has a pretty favourable draw here. He faces a qualifier in round one and then either Dzumhur or Daniel in round two. Neither of whom should really cause him problems and he's seeded to face Feliciano Lopez in the QF. He beat Lopez in the final here last year, and has won his last 4 meetings against the Spaniard. Once you get to the SF stage, all the players are playing well so the fact that he doesn't have a winning record against either Querrey (2nd seed) or Verdasco (6th seed) isn't of too much concern.

Karlovic is quite a streaky player, and has a tendency to perform well in places where he has done well before, reaching multiple finals in Nottingham, Delray Beach, Bogota & Newport.

Ivo Karlovic 6/1 ATP Los Cabos

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 am

Los Cabos

I think Berdych at Los Cabos is a pretty sure bet. He has chosen that event specifically as he can get some easy points, otherwise he'd be in Washington so he'll be looking to win it.

He has a first round bye and then a qualifier to get to the QF. There you're probably looking at Mannarino as the toughest opponent and he leads that head to head 4-0. Semi Final could see him play (3)Ramos-Vinolas who is certainly no threat on hard courts whilst the other players in that section are mid level players at best (excluding Kokkinakis who has had his injuries).

It should Lopez, Karlovic, Querrey or even Verdasco in the final so it'll be a much tougher route for whoever he does meet. Lopez retired at Wimbledon and isn't as effective on hard courts like grass, Karlovic is having a tough season so far with some surprising losses whilst Querrey (1-5) and Verdasco (4-10) both have poor head to heads against Berdych so I think the number one seed should take the title.

Berdych is my player of the week. 7/4 to win Los Cabos

I think it'll be Querrey who meets him in the SF and the American made the SF of Wimbledon which shows he's in good form and played some magnificent stuff to beat Nadal in the final (as well as Kyrgios, Thiem, Goffin and Edmund) of Acapulco in Mexico earlier this year.

Querrey 5/1 EW

Washington

I'm also backing Del Potro to win here. He's only played this event four times and has won it in his last three appearances in 2008, 2009 and 2013 so it's a good venue for him. He's got another tough draw but I think it's doable if he plays well.

Assuming he wins his first match in the second round then he'll face Nishikori in the third round which will be his toughest test and I think that's a 50/50 match. Del Potro does lead the head to head 5-1 though including victory in Rome a couple of months ago so I'm going with the Argentine. He could play Muller or Pouille in the QF. Muller doesn't have a great record here and Pouille hasn't been able to get going in 2017 so he should progress. A SF would likely be against Kyrgios or Alex Zverev and considering they're both young and inconsistent then I think Del Potro is the safe bet. There's a whole host of players he could face in the final but give who he'll have beaten to get there then I think he'd take the title considering his record at the event.

Del Potro 8/1 to win. Odds at the moment according to olbg tips.

I think Raonic will get to the final from the other half of the draw and he is 11/2 EW to win Washington but you can make a case for a lot of players in this draw.

Kitzbuhel

I think if there's value in an event this week then it'll be here. Going through the draw, it's Dolgopolov that I think could be the man to take the title here so hopefully he has the energy this week and he did make the final of Bastad two weeks ago.

He should beat Bellucci in the first round as the Brazilian has lost 8 of his last 10 matches and trails the head to head 3-0. Then he'll face Struff who has lost 8 of his last 10 matches as well coming into the tournament or Tommy Haas who has lost 7 from 10. Fognini would be his likely QF opponent and he leads the Italian 5-1 in their head to head while with Fognini winning Gstaad at the weekend, he is unlikely to go far here. Kohlschreiber is the one SF opponent I could see stopping him but the German hasn't been great this year and retired in Hamburg a few days ago. Cuevas is the top seed and isn't in form whilst Dolgopolov beat him in Buenos Aires earlier this year and Lorenzi (3) isn't a strong seed either.

I'm backing Dolgopolov 12/1 to win as I don't see him losing to anyone in the other half.

I'm also backing Cuevas 5/1 EW as I'm quite sure he'll make the final.

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:16 am

Gone for a Kitzbuhel acca of:

Sousa
Zekic
Lajovic
Dolgopolov
Ofner

Around 50/1 applying Betfair's acca edge. I'm quite sure of three of them whilst half expecting Ofner to upset Basilashvili.

Don't know a lot about Zekic but he's won a couple of good qualifying matches and Kuznetsov isn't the most consistent.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Tiafoe vs kokkinakis in Los Cabos is an interesting 1st round tie. Tiafoe has a bright future ahead of him, as does Kokkinakis if he puts those injury worries behind him.

Also good to see Heather Watson qualify in Washington. She had a good grass court campaign to move back inside the top 100 and will hope to finally win a main draw match at Flushing Meadow

Emmasa
Group 2 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Emmasa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:00 pm

ATP Washington - J.Isner @11 bet365

Isner looks on fire after winning consecutive titles at Newport and Atlanta. The guy has always played well on US soil, where he won 10 of 12 titles in ATP Tour. Isner won Newport without allowing a single break point, so he's clerly at his peak in this 2017 that had been pretty poor so far for him. Isner reached the final match in Washington three times, in 2007, 2013 and 2015, and he will enter the event with no pressure at all. Tirednes could be an issue but this is the time of the year when us players have to collect points and money. A few top seeds form and commitment is a question mark for us (Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov among others) so we expect Isner to go deep and have a chance at this good price.

ATP Los Cabos - S.Querrey @6 bet365

Querrey already won a title this season surprisingly beating Nadal in the final of Acapulco, Mexico, with similar conditions to Los Cabos. He proved in Wimbledon a few weeks ago that he 's able to go deep in big event as well. And who knows if the low profile american player still has to show the best of his 2017 season, his most profitable so far. Querrey is our choice here because his price is much better than Berdych and his chances are more or less the same in our opinion.

ATP Kitzbuhel - R.Haase @13 Betfair

Haase won this event twice, in 2011 and 2012, and he's been playing pretty well this season, keeping his ranking around 50th spot and beating top players like Thiem. Haase is the kind of players who can face these small events with nice past memories with great determination and commitment. He's clearly one of his favourite scenario, and if he can beat Giraldo in the first round (he's 0-3 against him) we expect him to build on that and go deep. Lorenzi , defending champion, looks the major threat.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi Emmasa, 3 good looking picks for this week. Do you want to pick your best one as player of the week?

ClaudiuOvi
2yo
Tips

Postby ClaudiuOvi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:54 pm

ATP Washington 2017
Monfils to win at 16/1 with Betfair

The french with carribean origins enters the tournament which shares the same soil with The White House as the defending champion. He won the last year's edition after he defeated Y-H.Lu(2-0), B.Coric(2-0), S.Querrey(2-1), A.Zverev(2-0) and Ivo Karlovic(2-1) in the final. I have a few reasons that make me back Monfils. First of this reasons is that Gael showed that he feels good when he plays in the Citi Open(he won the last year's edition). Secondly, the fact that Gael had a pretty solid grass season with a final at Eastbourne and 1/16 finals at Wimbledon gives me confidence that Gael can repeat last year's performance especially as his serve looked great since the start of Eastbourne. I also expect Monfils to have some of the american tennis fans on his side as he is astonishing at conquering the audience by showing his marvelous skills. Another reason which made me back Monfils is his easy road until the QF. The french star will have to pass Kozlov/Bhambri and then move over to a very probable meeting with Mischa Zverev,the 12th seeded. The german's only dangerous weapon is his service and he can't compare with Gael when talking about moving on the field and virtuosity on shots. Monfils' first major encounter will be in the QF where he will probably meet Anderson or Thiem, Anderson being another service based player and Thiem being a player who prefers clay. I think he can get over this clash with not too much effort. In the SF he will most probable face Isner or Raonic. Looking over his path to the final, Monfils will have to defeat a lot of players which have the serve as main weapon and I don't think this is an unbeatable obstacle for the french as he defeated the big server, Ivo Karlovic in the last year's final and "straight-setted" Alexander Zverev in the SF. It is hard to tell which opponent he will have to face in the final, but I doubt he can't face with brio any player in the ATP tour in a good day and when he has the crowd on his side as well.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Welcome to OLBG ClaudiuOvi. Nice writeup on Monfils, looking forward to reading more of your views

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Unlucky Emmasa

Isner has withdrawn from Washington.