PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK TEN w/c Mon July 24th

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK TEN w/c Mon July 24th

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Monday July 24th. Another five events to choose from this week

Events this week
July 17th - July 23rd ATP Hamburg (Clay) - ATP 500
July 17th - July 23rd ATP Atlanta (Hard) - ATP 250
July 17th - July 23rd ATP Gstaad (Clay) - ATP 250
July 17th - July 23rd WTA Bastad (Clay) - WTA International

July 17th - July 23rd WTA Nanchang (Hard) - WTA International

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. Just ONE entry per member please.

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows:

If your player wins: 40 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 20 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 10 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 5 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK TEN w/c Mon July 24th

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

A quick glance through the Hamburg draw and you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was just an ATP 250 event. Albert Ramos is top seed at just 24 in the world so this one is very much up for grabs but it's the States where I'm looking for my winner.

John Isner has just won his 3rd Newport title and incredibly, 19 of his 23 tour finals have come on US soil and he's made 6 of the last 7 finals in Atlanta, splitting his 6 finals, winning 3 straight between 2013 & 2015. He lost last year's final to Nick Kyrgios but the draw isn't particularly strong in 2017, and Gilles Muller would be his expected SF opponent. But Isner has winning records against both Muller and Donald Young who is his expected QF opponent as well as top seed Jack Sock. He's in good form, not dropping a set in Newport, and his record in the US is just too good to ignore

John Isner @ 7/2 (Paddy Power) ATP Atlanta

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Gstaad David Goffin 7/2 Ladbrokes 7/2
I am picking David Goffin in this as he has played in this tournament just once back in 2015 and he made it to the final where he lost in straight sets to David Thiem.And he has done all right on clay this season winning 13 and losing 6 and he made it to the semi-final at Monte Carlo this year when he lost to Rafa Nadal.He is the number 1 seed for this and he is ranked at number 14th in the world.The main concern i have about the draw is that Feliciano Lopez is drawn in the top half with Goffin and they could meet in the semi-finals here and he has done well her before making it to the semi-finals in 2013 and 2015 and he won it in 2016 but Goffin has played him once and it was played on clay and he won it 7-5 6-0.He could also have a tricky quarter-finals as he might face Dolgopolov who is in form making it to the final at Bastad and he has played Goffin 2 times and beaten him both times and 1 was on clay but the last time they played was back in 2013.But i do think Goffin is a better player now and if he is at his best i think he should be able to win this.

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 am

Leo Mayer @66/1 in Hamburg

He is a lucky loser but I think Leonardo Mayer has a good chance of this event. He faces top seed Ramos-vinolas first round and the Spaniard has only made it past the second round here in one of his last six appearances whereas Mayer won this event back in 2014. Mayer won their last meeting in 2015 as well and it was a set all when he retired as they met earlier this year. His second round will be Struff who hasn't been in the best of form and has lost in the first round of five of his last six tournaments. His QF could be the mercurial Verdasco but I think it'll be Jiri Vesely of whom he leads the H2H 4-1. Ferrer is the seed he could face in the SF but the Spaniard made the final last week in a tournament so I think he could be fatigued whilst Mayer leads the head to head over someone like Delbonis. I don't think there's really too many credible opponents in the other half with Simon struggling this year, Paire inconsistent and Cuevas out of form so I think Mayer can win this tournament.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:02 am

Bold move there rustie. We waited 8 years for the next lucky loser to win an event, it would be quite something for it to happen in consecutive weeks.

But it's a poor draw for a 500 level event and 66/1 is massive, especially considering he only needs to win 5 matches.

Maybe even Bedene could do well given his decent form on clay?

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:11 am

Leo Mayer on clay is a pretty good LL though. As I've said, he's won here before.

Wasn't Vesely a LL in Auckland a few years ago.

Do you think Bedene can beat Khachanov?

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Vesely qualified in Auckland. Khachanov vs Bedene is an interesting one. I like the Russian and was tempted to back him here but seeing Bedene as a potential 2nd round opponent put me off slightly. I never know what to make of Bedene. He still loses far too many matches that he should be winning to ever have complete trust in him

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Vesely qualified in Auckland. Khachanov vs Bedene is an interesting one. I like the Russian and was tempted to back him here but seeing Bedene as a potential 2nd round opponent put me off slightly. I never know what to make of Bedene. He still loses far too many matches that he should be winning to ever have complete trust in him
I don't know what to make of him myself. Obviously a competitive player on the clay but doesn't have anything special to bring it against the better players. I looked at Khachanov as well but he had a bit of a meltdown last week so I'm leaving him.

Mayer just beat Ramos :win:

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 am

Just 3 picks this week but all 3 are in QF action today. Well done on Leo Mayer rustie :win:

Anyone brave enough to bet on the Gulbis vs Fognini match? 2 of the most inconsistent players in the game

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 am

Anyone brave enough to bet on the Gulbis vs Fognini match? 2 of the most inconsistent players in the game

It's a tricky one you would think a player ranked 31st in the world like Fognini is playing against a player ranked 313th would be easy to pick but Gulbis leads the head to head 5-1 but i don't know how much you can read into that as the last time these 2 players last played was back in 2014.They have played just once on clay and Gulbis won that back in 2011 i would be tempted to pick Fognini in the handicap games market as he is -1.5 but it will be a tough match for him if he is having a off day.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:05 am

Hope you put some £££ on Leo Mayer rustie. Since dropping that opening set against Ramos back in the 1st round, he hasn't dropped a set. When was the last ATP final between 2 players outside the top 100?

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:49 pm

No I didn't, I didn't even tip it :lose:

Picked the wrong week to be lazy!

Not all about the fortune though, the fame will do :cool: