PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK NINE w/c Mon July 17th

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK NINE w/c Mon July 17th

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:50 am

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Monday July 17th. With Wimbledon over, we have a bit of a lull in action before attention turns to the US Open preparations. This week sees us return to some of the smaller and perhaps more unpredictable events.

Events this week
July 17th - July 23rd ATP Newport (Grass) - ATP 250
July 17th - July 23rd ATP Umag (Clay) - ATP 250
July 17th - July 23rd ATP Bastad (Clay) - ATP 250
July 17th - July 23rd WTA Bucharest (Clay) - WTA International
July 17th - July 23rd WTA Gstaad (Clay) - WTA International

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. Back to normal this week so just ONE entry per member please.

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows:

If your player wins: 40 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 20 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 10 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 5 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK NINE w/c Mon July 17th

Postby titans choice » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 am

ATP Bastad Pablo Cuevas can not find odds for tournament winner apart from on oddsportal which has him at 8/1 at Unibet but if you can find odds on tournament winner i will accept them.
I am picking Pablo Cuevas in this event as he has done well here before playing here 3 times making the quarter-final back in 2010 and in 2014 he won here as well as making it to the semi-finals here in 2015.He is seeded at number 3 in this and has a bye in the first round and in the second round he should face Henri Laaksonen who is ranked at number 104 and these 2 players have not played each other yet but he has played here 3 times and never made it past the first round so Cuevas should be too good for him.
In the quarter-finals it is tough to predict who he will play as it is between Dustin Brown who has played 8 times on clay this year and lost 6 and Cuevas has never played him.It could also be Thomaz Bellucci who has played here once making it to the quarter-finals and he has played 24 times on clay this year winning 12 and losing 12.And these 2 players have played 8 times with Bellucci winning 3 all of them on hard courts while all of Cuevas wins have came on clay surfaces so he seems to have the upper hand on him on this surface.It could also be David Ferrer who is seeded 8th in this and he has done well here playing here 3 times winning it in 2012 quarter-finals in 2014 and he made it to the semi-finals last year.But he is not having the best of years so far winning 10 and losing 14 and his record on clay this season is won 5 and lost 7 but he has played Cuevas 4 times and he has won them all and 3 of them has been on clay so i would prefer to see him play Belluci in the quarter-finals.
In the semi-finals i would be surprised if he did not play last years winner Albert Ramos Vinolas and he was going to be my pick actually to i seen the head to head between these 2 players as they have played 6 times and Cuevas has won 5 of them and he has won the last 3 matches and all of them were played on clay but Vinolas one victory has came on clay.
So given the form of some players on his side of the draw and the head to head record he has against Bellucci and Vinolas i think Cuevas has a good chance of making the final in this tournament.And if he plays the number 1 seed in the final Pablo Carreno Busta i think he will have an advantage as they have played 7 times with Cuevas has won 4 and they have played 4 times on clay with Cuevas winning 3 of them.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm sticking with the grass and the grass in Newport is like the grass of yesteryear with the speed of the surface. It's a big servers paradise and Ivo Karlovic beat Gilles Muller in last year's final, having been a runner-up in the previous two years. This year's top seed won it back in 2011 & 2012.

Karlovic clearly enjoys coming here and he'll want to sign off his grass court season on a high after a disappointing early Wimbledon exit to Aljaz Bedene. He's seeded to face Adrian Mannarino in the semi-finals but look for former Wimbledon junior Champion to cause a shock or two in that 3rd quarter. However, I don't think Opelka currently has the game to trouble a seasoned veteran such as Karlovic.

Karlovic will be in a lot of tie breaks and the key will be how he plays the big points, but he's one of just 2 top 50 players in this event and a top 2 final of Isner vs Karlovic really wouldn't surprise me. His best Grand Slam has been Wimbledon whilst he's reached 7 career grass court finals and is 12-2 in Newport over the last 3 years.

Ivo Karlovic 5/1 (Paddy Power)

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:08 pm

titanschoice - looks like Cuevas opened at 8/1 but has been well backed throughout the day. Just a best priced 6/1 now so you've got yourself a decent price there and a bet that I like. He's a solid clay court player who has 6 clay court finals over the last 2 1/2 years. Good Luck :hope:

nawoo
Stallion
Tips

Postby nawoo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Would like to give a try

ATP Umag(Croatia)

Fabio Fognini @ 9 Paddy Power

His first tourney on clay since French Open where he lost to Wawrinka in pre quarters. He has a good record here:
2016 - Winner
2015 - Quarter Final
2014 - Semi Final
2013 - Final
2012 - 2nd Round
2011 - Semi Final
2010 - Winner

He has a bye to the second round where most likely he will face Youzhny who is inconsistent and Fognini has won their last 2 meetings both on clay. His opponent in quarters could likely be Boric whom he beat here in 14 in QF. In semis most likely he will face Goffin whom he has played once and won on hard, so I would expect him to make it to final where most likely he will face Lorenzi whom he leads 5-1 with 4 wins being on clay or Monfils who leads him 4 -3 but are tied 2-2 on clay and the Italian has beaten him here.

He has better record against most of his rivals here and the fact that he has been consistent here does make him a good bet to retain his title.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Welcome to the tennis threads nawoo and good luck with your pick. Fognini should have beaten Murray at Wimbledon and he's a great price to win in Croatia.

Just the three picks this weeks

titanschoice - Pablo Cuevas (ATP Bastad) - 8/1
undertherobe - Ivo Karlovic (ATP Newport) - 5/1
nawoo - Fabio Fognini (ATP Umag) - 8/1

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 am

Very disappointed to see Pablo Cuevas lose to Henri Laaksonen who is now ranked 100 but i honestly thought that would of been a straight set win for Cuevas as Laaksonen has not beaten anyone in the top 100 on clay this season.

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:49 pm

I think Alexsandr Dolgopolov can cause a upset in the final at Bastad as he seems to have the upper hand on David Ferrer on clay.These 2 players have played on it 4 times and Dolgopolov has managed to win 3 of them and he has beaten him once already this year on clay.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Very quiet on the thread this week but a special mention to nawoo who picks up some points at the 1st time of asking as Fognini makes it into the QF in Umag before falling to Andrey Rublev who eventually became the 1st lucky loser since 2009 to win a title

nawoo - Fabio Fognini @ 8/1 (ATP Umag) - lost in QF 10 points (double points as 8/1 or over)
undertherobe - Ivo Karlovic @ 5/1 (ATP Newport) - lost in QF 5 points
titanschoice - Pablo Cuevas @ 8/1 (ATP Bastad) - lost in 2nd round 0 points