PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK EIGHT w/c Mon July 3rd (WIMBLEDON!!!)

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK EIGHT w/c Mon July 3rd (WIMBLEDON!!!)

Postby undertherobe » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Monday July 3rd and it's time for Wimbledon.

Events this week
July 3rd - July 16th ATP Wimbledon (Grass) - Grand Slam
July 3rd - July 16th WTA Wimbledon (Grass) - Grand Slam

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. As with the French Open, members can select TWO players, ONE each from the men's & women's event.

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows (double points for the Grand Slam already applied in the list below):

If your player wins: 80 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 40 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 20 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 10 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

Also, don't forget that OLBG are running another £500 tipping competition for Wimbledon. Here's the link to the rules for that competition

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63761

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK EIGHT w/c Mon July 3rd (WIMBLEDON!!!)

Postby The rabbit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:56 pm

WTA Wimbledon

I'd love to see Agnieszka Radwanska win Wimbledon but she has not played well lately and has experienced some problems so it seems unlikely unless it is some cunning plan by her to save her best for this Grand Slam.

My choice is therefore Petra Kvitova 5/1 who has recently returned to playing tennis after being injured in a burglary at her home. She won the Birmingham Classic at the end of last month on grass and looks to have a decent chance of winning Wimbledon which is her favourite Grand Slam and she has won the singles title there twice. Slight worry about her lack of competitive tennis this year and she withdrew from Eastbourne due to an abdominal injury but that was probably just a precaution. She has a good draw and has regained her enthusiasm for playing tennis after suffering her bad hand injury and I think that she is capable of winning Wimbledon again.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Good luck the rabbit. She'd be a very popular winner of Wimbledon in a normal year, even more so after what she's been through

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 pm

The Big 4 head the betting in the men's event which is to be expected. But as much I want (and think) Federer will win, he's a very skinny price and I think that Marin Cilic offers a lot more value at 18/1.

The Croat was runner-up at Queen's and has the game to suit the grass courts. He has 3 straight QF appearances at Wimbledon but has fallen to Djokovic (2014 & 2015) and Federer at that stage. Two of those defeats were in 5 sets, but this year, his draw is much more favourable as he's scheduled to face Nadal in the QF, with Nadal arguably being the weakest of the Big Four on grass. Outside of Nadal, there isn't a player in his section who he should fear on grass. His first round match is a tough one against Kohlschreiber, but the German has lost 5 of his last 6 Grand Slam 1st round matches whilst 9th seed Kei Nishikori doesn't have the grass court pedigree to make it deep into this event.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Much like the French Open, you can make a case for quite a few players in the women's draw. Kvitova & Pliskova lead the way in the betting market by some distance, but with it being so open, I'm looking for a bigger price. Ostapenko at 16/1 just doesn't do it for me though. The French/Wimbledon double has been done just twice since 1996, both by Serena Williams, whilst the double has also been competed by the likes of Steffi Graf (4 times), Navratilova, Evert, King & Court.

I'm going to take a punt on Caroline Wozniacki at 33/1. With so many women in the running for the title, I think the draw becomes pretty much irrelevant. Wozniacki reached just her 2nd grass court final last week in Eastbourne with impressive wins over Vesnina & Halep, running out of steam in the final, but she's now reached 4 finals in 2017 (something she hasn't done this early in the year since 2011) & won 35 matches this year. Wimbledon hasn't been her greatest Grand Slam, with no QF appearances, but she has plenty of big match experience to draw from, and has reached the QF in 2 of her last 3 Slams

johnvaljohn
2yo
Tips

Postby johnvaljohn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Hey Guys,
My pick for the women's Wimbledon is gonna be Venus Williams @18 with Unibet
I think it is very good value for her, she has already have 5 wimbeldon titles, last year she reached the semi-finals and lost to Kerber. I am taking her because i think her road to a quarter final is one of the easiest and she is proven, the most likely names (favorites) that she will face are Strycova then Cibulkova/konjuh, in the quarter finals she will have a good test against names like Barty,Keys or Ostapenko, then in the semi-finals she will most likely face Kvitova or Konta or Halep.

jockie c
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby jockie c » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:56 am

My selection for this years Wimbledon ladies title is the 21 year old Queenslander Ashleigh Barty 35/1@Unibet here in Australia.

This may be a very short lasting tip as she is drawn against number 4 seed Elina Svitolina in the first round, however the bookies have her as favourite to win through at $1.57 so maybe it’s time for Ashleigh to make a name for herself.

She recently made the final at Birmingham where she was beaten by Petra Kvitova after winning the first set which shows she is in good form coming into Wimbledon and prior to that lost in the QF in Nottingham to Johanna Konta, so improving.

Ashleigh doesn’t seem to have a preferred surface, possessing an all court game with a flat or sliced first serve and a second (kick) serve. Her forehand is her strength where she generates pace and spin but she also is able to play slices, drop shots and lobs and her variety of shot is also a strength.

She did very well as a junior including winning here at Wimbledon in 2011 but struggled a little after turning pro. She has done really well in the doubles partnering Casey Dellacqua where they have made all the slam finals without actually winning one (yet). Including this years French just last month.

She's young but the womens draw looks wide open this year.

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:50 am

My tip is:

Murray @13/2

- Only Kyrgios and Pouille who are real threats in his section. He has an excellent record against both, I don't think he's actually lost to either.
- QF should be Wawrinka or Tsonga. The former doesn't perform at his best on grass having never made it past the QF stage at Wimbledon. Tsonga is better on the surface but is in dreadful form.
- SF could be Nadal who has gone out in the first week of his last four Wimbledon appearances and I'm expecting a repeat this year but I couldn't see him beating Murray anyway. Cilic has lost all three of his QF's here, incredibly choking to Federer a couple of years ago and I don't see him pulling off a shock win whilst Nishikori's results on grass leave a lot to be desired.
- I can only see it being Federer or Djokovic in the final. Federer won the Australian Open but he didn't have to beat Murray or Djokovic and those two (especially Novak) are the reason he's had to wait so long to win another slam. He won Halle but doesn't he always? I'm not saying he's playing well but it's no better than his 2015 form in my opinion. I don't think Federer would beat both Djokovic and Murray and in fact, I don't think he'll make the final at all.
Djokovic played well in Eastbourne this week and if he's back in the right place mentally then I think things will fall into place. Murray is very difficult to beat here and he'll probably have the tougher SF so I think it'll be the Brit who is victorious.

Football DZR
Group 1 Class
Tips

NOVAK DJOKOVIC @6

Postby Football DZR » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:41 am

A few of the players which look to have value in the odds for winning the title

Federer @3 Novak @6 Cilic @17 Pironkova @ 81 Safarova @51 Kuznetsova @67

Player of the week, Djokovic, having just won Eastbourne without dropping a set, having added Agassi and Ancic to his coaching staff for Wimbledon he brings form and apparently renewed motivation to the event.
"retirement is dying" Arsene 1st April 2017!!! No Wenger killed the club 10 years ago :D

"Remember never trust an all time loser" :lol:

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Jockie - I've seen Barty mentioned a few times as a potential big priced winner. She's certainly got the form and if she gets past Svitolina then who knows? I can't believe she's so short against the Ukrainian though.

Rustie - no Kyrgios for Murray to worry about after his retirement.

Don't forget, you can pick TWO players this week if you so wish. One from the men's & one from the women's.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Nice to see some new entrants for this week. Only half the draw has been completed, so if you haven't picked a player from both events and your fancy is still to play, get those entries in.

The entries we have so far,

The Rabbit - Petra Kvitova @ 5/1 (WTA)
undertherobe - Marin Cilic @ 18/1 (ATP)
undertherobe - Caroline Wozniacki @ 33/1 (WTA)
johnvaljohn - Venus Williams @ 18/1 (WTA)
jockie c - Ashleigh Barty @ 35/1 (WTA)
rustie - Andy Murray @ 13/2 (ATP)
Football DZR - Novak Djokovic @ 5/1 (ATP)

jockie c
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby jockie c » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 am

Feliciano Lopez $81@bet365 is a big chance to make a mark at this years Wimbledon.

At 35 he will be testing the theory that 30 is the new 20 but he looks like a player in form with the win at Queens and a final appearance at Stuttgart previous to that.

Wimbledon is undoubtedly his best Grand Slam tournament with QF appearances in 2005, 2008 and 2011 and I think grass is his preferred surface with 2 wins at Eastbourne and a runners up at Queens previous to his two good results in the lead up to this years Wimbledon.

He is a left hander with a powerful serve who is confident at the serve and volley game which is perfect on grass.

He has Djockovic in his side of the draw and that could be an issue for him advancing if Djockovic brings his A game which is far from certain. He also has Monfils who is injured so QF is a distinct possibility where he might get Berdych or Thiem.

Long odds but I like his re emergence as a top player.