PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK FOUR w/c Sun May 28th (FRENCH OPEN!!!)

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK FOUR w/c Sun May 28th (FRENCH OPEN!!!)

Postby undertherobe » Thu May 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Welcome to the player of the week thread for the week commencing Sunday May 28th. It's the 2nd Grand Slam of the year over the next two weeks in Paris.

Events this week
May 28th - June 11th ATP French Open (Clay) - Grand Slam
May 28th - June 11th WTA French Open (Clay) - Grand Slam

Please add the player you think will win either of these events along with 50-100 words of reasoning and the odds/bookmaker. As the French Open is over two weeks, members can select TWO players (one from the men's and one from the women's).

Feel free to discuss multiple players & individual matches

The points scoring for this week is as follows (double points for the Grand Slam already applied in the list below):

If your player wins: 80 points
If your player finishes runner-up: 40 points
If your player loses in the semi-finals: 20 points
If you players loses in the quarter-finals: 10 points

A player's score will be doubled if their POTW selection is priced at 8/1 or over.

Good luck everyone :win:

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: PLAYER OF THE WEEK - WEEK FOUR w/c Sun May 28th (FRENCH OPEN!!!)

Postby The rabbit » Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 am

WTA French Open

This looks very open due to the lack of decent form of some of the top ranked players and with Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova not playing. Kristina Mladenovic 12/1 has improved since winning her maiden WTA title in Russia earlier this year and has become much more confident. She has reached another three finals since winning in Russia including one in Madrid earlier this month where she just lost to Simona Halep in three sets and Simona is a doubt for this Grand Slam due to injury. Kristina is French so will have the support of most of the spectators here and likes the clay surface.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sat May 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Men's

Since 2000, at least one of the French Open finalists has won one of the three clay court Masters events in the lead up to the tournament. Nadal (twice) & Alex Zverev won those events in 2017 and both actually appear in my 3 to watch blog and being in opposite halves of the draw, they could meet in the final. For the purposes of this competition, I'm going to go with the King of Clay. At 10/11, he's no price to be backing but Nadal is far and away the best player on clay in 2017. He may have suffered defeat in Rome but Thiem is no slouch on clay and the Monte Carlo-Madrid-Rome/Hamburg treble has only been completed once so he was always up against it in the Italian capital.

Looking at his quarter, I don't see anyone who can challenge him over best of five on clay and he'll face a likely SF meeting with Thiem or Djokovic. He could meet anyone in the final as the top half is pretty stacked but I'd expect him to be pretty fresh having come through relatively unscathed over the first 10 days.

Women's

Closing your eyes and sticking a pin on the women's draw will probably give you as much chance of finding a winner than if you studied the draw in meticulous detail. It's the most open it's been for a long time and you could make a case for at least 20 players. With that in mind, I'm going for a player coming off a 1st singles title in two years (and 4th on clay) in Sam Stosur at 40/1. She won in Strasbourg last week and has reached the SF of the French Open on 4 occasions (including last year and reaching the final in 2010) and the French Open is where she has played her best tennis at Grand Slam level. With so many doubts about some of the higher seeds, she may find her path to that elusive 1st Grand Slam just opens up as the days go on

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Sat May 27, 2017 9:19 pm

ATP Mens : Dominic THIEM

Rafa will be a tough nut to crack especially with Djokovic still not at his best and Murray searching for any kind of form and although Nadal is a worthy short priced favourite I'm looking further down the list for a little value and will side with the only player to have beaten Rafa on clay in 2017, sixth seed Dominic Thiem (18/1 Betfair). The Austrian has won seventeen of his twenty one clay matches this year, the four defeats came against top ten players Goffin (in Monte Carlo), Nadal twice (finals in Madrid and Barcelona) and Djokovic in the semi final in Rome last week. As well as beating Nadal, Dominic has also beaten Murray (Barcelona) and really has nothing to fear from any of the likely contenders, he managed to win only one game against Novak in the semi final in Rome last week but to be fair did not play badly he was just on the receiving end of probably the best performance from Djokovic in the part best of twelve months. Dominic should progress through the first three rounds without too many alarms, Tomic in the first round should be straight forward as he does not like clay (just a 38% career win strike rate on it), Mahut or Bolelli next up then possibly Coric who beat Murray recently. Goffin possibly in the last sixteen who Dominic lost to in Monte Carloand should exact revenge this time as the Belgian has lost to Khachanov ranked fifty four since. Quarter final could be against Djokovic followed by Rafa in the semi, the two biggest questions Dominic is capable of answering, if it's Murray in the final the Austrian can win his first slam title.

The Ladies draw is such a lottery this year without Serena and I could not find a selection to put forward with any confidence. All of the top ten seeds have lost on clay this season to players ranked outside of the top ten, Kerber is way out of touch and her first round opponent Makarova could be interesting if she topples the number one seed as she has already beaten top ten players Radwanska and Cibulkova on clay this season and her four defeats have been against top twenty players (Bertens twice and Pavlyuchenkova) and Sharapova. Halep has probably been the best player on clay so far this year but I don't see her winning here as she tends to suffer dips in form and tends to come up short in the slams, we could be in for a shock winner this year.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sat May 27, 2017 11:39 pm

David Goffin sky bet 66/1
David Goffin is drawn in the bottom half of the draw with Nadal so he will find it hard to make it to the final but at least he will make it to the semi-finals before he faces Nadal and he will do well if he makes that far.In the first round he faces Mathieu who is ranked at number 119 in the world and has played here 3 times before get knocked out in the first round twice and the 2nd round once these 2 players have never met before but Mathieu have won won 4 and lost 4 on clay so far this season and Goffin should be able to beat him.In the second round he will probably face Ye-Hsun Lu who is ranked at number 58th in the world and he has also played here 3 times and again losing twice in the first round and once in the second round this will also be his first tournament on clay this season and again i would think Goffin should be too good for him.In the 3rd round he should face either Karlovic or Mannariano and he has played Karlovic in the only match that have played but that was on a hard court and he has won 2 matches on clay and lost 3 and he has played here 3 times and never made it past the 3rd round.Mannarino has faced Goffin twice and lost both but both were on hard courts he has also played here 3 times and he has never made it past the second round here so i do not think either will be able to beat Goffin on clay.In the last he will face either in my opinion Johnson or Thiem but most likely Thiem as these 2 have played once and Thiem won and it was on clay and Goffin has played against Thiem 10 times winning 7 and losing 3 Goffin has won the last 2 which was this year and one of them was on clay and they have played 4 times on clay and they both have won twice so i think Goffin should be favourite to win where he should face a out of Djokovic.
Goffin has won 10 matches on clay so far this season and lost 4 he has played in 4 clay events so far on clay and did well in two of them making it to the semi-finals at Monte Carlo and the Quarter-finals at the Madrid master losing to Nadal in both of them he also made it the the quarter-finals here last year and i think he has a good chance in at least repeating that here.

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sun May 28, 2017 12:26 am

Simona Halep Coral 5/1
Bit pushed for time and i was thinking of putting up a argument for Bertens or Svitolina but Simona Halep has won 12 matches and lost 2 so far on clay this season and she comes into this in good form winning at Madrid and in her last tournament she made it to the final at Rome losing to Svitolina 2-1.And she has done well here before winning here back in 2014 but she has disappointed here in the last 2 years losing in the 2nd round and going out at the round 16 stage last year but given her good form on clay so far this season i think she will do really well here again this year.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun May 28, 2017 8:19 am

Good luck everyone. I've had a quick look through today's opening matches and can't find anything that takes my fancy.

How good is it to see Kvitova back though? With Azarenka coming back for the grass court season, it's only going to make women's tennis stronger.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun May 28, 2017 12:48 pm

There's still time for members to enter. As long as your player hasn't started their opening match then the pick will stand for this competition.

We want as many members to enter as possible

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun May 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Simona Halep Coral> 5/1
Bit pushed for time and i was thinking of putting up a argument for Bertens or Svitolina but Simona Halep has won 12 matches and lost 2 so far on clay this season and she comes into this in good form winning at Madrid and in her last tournament she made it to the final at Rome losing to Svitolina 2-1.And she has done well here before winning here back in 2014 but she has disappointed here in the last 2 years losing in the 2nd round and going out at the round 16 stage last year but given her good form on clay so far this season i think she will do really well here again this year.
The only thing I'd say against Halep is that she tore ankle ligaments in her final against Svitolina last week and is a major injury doubt. I think she'll play, but if she's not fully healthy then she could be susceptible to an early upset

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun May 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Hopefully we'll get some more selections over the next few days but here's the entries so far

Men's
undertherobe - Rafa Nadal 10/11 (1st round vs Paire)
Pompey Jim - Dominic Thiem 18/1 (1st round vs Tomic)
Titans Choice - David Goffin 66/1 (1st round vs Mathieu)

Women's
TItans Choice - Simona Halep 5/1 (1st round vs Cepelova)
The Rabbit - Kristina Mladenovic 12/1 (1st round vs Brady)
Undertherobe - Sam Stosur 40/1 (1st round vs Kucova)

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 pm

We're almost through the first round (just Tsonga-Olivo to finish tomorrow). Only one match down but who's impressed you the most over the last three days. Is there a player that perhaps you considered that you now wish you'd have gone for?

EdisAudelis
2yo
Tips

Postby EdisAudelis » Wed May 31, 2017 5:23 am

A turner very complicated by the irregularity of some players who do not know how they are going to play. It happens that some players look super favorites on some keys and end up losing.

For me in men's tennis wins Rafael Nadal , that he is not in his best level and sometimes it is too complicated in this type of terrain but I think it is the best that has for now the French Open.

Radwanska, Kerber, are players who have had a lot of problems (Serena Williams) is not there and other tennis players who should be favorites are not at their best. this season.

I go with the one that sounds most favorite Simona Halep. In spite of his injury some discard it to win the title of the franchise open, but for me it is the best there is and can win since in his first matches in this tournament he was seen very well.