Canada
No votes

Total votes: 4
undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Davis Cup 2017

Postby undertherobe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 pm

The Davis Cup gets underway tomorrow with matches all over the globe across the various levels of the competition. The top tier, The World Group, consists of 16 teams in a knockout format over the year.

The timing of the rounds doesn't help the competition attract the top players at times and Switzerland are missing their big guns as usual whilst Rafa Nadal, Andy Murray & Milos Raonic are all absent.

The draw is mapped out below. So who wins? Please answer the poll and add some reasoning behind your picks in this thread. Also please use this thread to discuss any ties, any individual matches and ask any questions you may have.

1st round
1 Argentina vs Italy
2 Belgium vs Germany
3 Czech Republic vs Australia
4 Switzerland vs United State
5 Japan vs France
6 Canada vs Great Britain
7 Russia vs Serbia
8 Spain vs Croatia

Quarter-Finals
9 Winner of 1 vs Winner of 2
10 Winner of 3 vs Winner of 4
11 Winner of 5 vs Winner of 6
12 Winner of 7 vs Winner of 8

Semi-Finals
13 Winner of 9 vs Winner of 10
14 Winner of 11 vs Winner of 12

Final
Winner of 13 v Winner of 14

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Davis Cup 2017

Postby STEVEOCN » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:59 am

undertherobe,

What do you think of Great Britain's chances again this year?

With Dan Evans and Kyle Edmund ever improving, you would have to think they have a great chance of getting past Canada then if Murray plays the odd match, I don't see why Team GB couldn't get themselves to the later stages in this Davis Cup.

I wonder with a fit again Juan Martin Del Potro could Argentina yet again be the team to beat and they retain the Cup?

Amazingly it's been 2007 since USA last won it and 2001 for France who always seem to have the strongest squad with the likes of Tsonga/Gasquet/Monfils/Simon along with the Hebert/Mahut doubles team.

Recent Davis Cup Winners:
2016 - Argentina
2015 - Great Britain
2014 - Switzerland
2013 - Czech Republic
2012 - Czech Republic
2011 - Spain
2010 - Serbia

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:26 am

I think they'll get past Canada but it'll be tough to win the whole thing without Murray.

France look to be coasting to a win against Japan which will mean they'll get a home tie against GB should we beat Canada and we'll need Murray for that one

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:09 am

The two that stand out to me are Australia & United States. They both seem to have full commitment from their top singles players and barring a huge shock, will play against eachother in the QFs.

Although Djokovic is playing this weekend, there's no guarantee he plays the QFs, especially if he has a pretty heavy summer so Serbia are a no go for me

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:34 am

Anyone else excited by the France v GB tie today?

BetVictor and Betway go 4.00 on GB and that to me looks like value even with Clay and without Sir Andy.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Anyone else excited by the France v GB tie today?

BetVictor> and Betway> go 4.00 on GB and that to me looks like value even with Clay and without Sir Andy.
Only just saw this post. I was excited by it but that excitement didn't last long :no:

It was a defeat to be expected really and even if Inglot & Murray had pulled off a surprise win on Saturday, it would only have delayed the inevitable. Evans looked every bit a player who hadn't won on clay since 2013 (has it been two year's since he's even played on the surface?) whilst Edmund was always up against it. France were missing FOUR Top 30 singles players and still made it look easy.

This was probably the worst Davis Cup weekend in recent memory in terms of entertainment. I had all 4 favourites in an four-fold with only the USA letting me down but none of the ties were ever really close, such a disappointment.