Should Tennis Have Equal Prize Money?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Should Tennis Have Equal Prize Money?

Postby nors » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Indian Wells Tennis Garden CEO, Raymond Moore, claimed and then apologised that the WTA Tour “ride on the coat-tails of the menâ€.

Djokovic then questioned whether equal prize money was deserved?

Should Womens Tennis have equal prize money with Mens Tennis?

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Give Women the same money, but make them play the best of 5 sets in all Grand Slam events, like the men do

Simple, if they want the same, they must do the same

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:07 pm

In a TV interview a few weeks back, Serena Williams was asked about the parity between the two. Not strictly about the pay issue but about ladies playing longer matches - up to 5 sets like the men do, which would be at the root of any claim for financial parity of course. She said she personally would have no problem playing longer matches in Grand Slams.

In these days of fairness, asking for financial parity is not illogical but I suppose what's being taken into consideration might be how much the ATP makes the industry and how much the WTA does, plus how long the games are. Want equal money? Provide equal benefit and play the same length of games. That's not unfair to ask.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:43 pm

How long have you got nors? :D

Raymond Moore certainly chose some unwise phrases to use in his statement and will be under fairly heavy pressure to step down.

Personally, I have no problem with the women getting paid the same as men. The women's game has been far more competitive as a whole than the men's game for some time.

The thing that most people miss in this argument is that the men's and women's tours are run by different bodies that are completely independent of each other.

Grand Slams and combined Masters events carry the same prize money but it's only the Grand Slam singles (and Wimbledon doubles) that the men play best of five sets so it's not like they're doing it every week.

If you look at the events organised by the ATP (men's) and WTA (women's) then there is a big disparity but that solely comes down to how much money each tour makes in terms of sponsorship etc. and the bottom line is that the ATP draws more viewers and a bigger tv revenue.

We're more popular. Pay us more.
- this was Djokovic's argument in a nutshell and I feel he may well have dug himself a hole here.

At a general level, he's right. But walk around any Grand Slam and I'd hazard a guess that attendances are split 50/50.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:47 pm

I can't help but wonder if the comments by Raymond Moore were made to distract the media from the ongoing betting scandal that will be under further scrutiny when a case against two former top 50 players goes to court in May.

But maybe that's just the cynic in me :?

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The rabbit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Raymond Moore's comments were ludicrous as he implied that the men's game is far superior to the women's which is obviously false and I am glad that he has resigned.

The five set difference is not that significant in my opinion as it only occurs in grand slams and most matches do not go to five sets anyway. My personal preference is for three set matches as I think it makes it more exciting so I'd prefer the men's to be reduced to three sets in all events.

As Undertherobe mentions on here, the women's game is far more competitive and has been for a long while and is one of the reasons why I find women's tennis a lot more interesting than men's and tennis is the only sport that I prefer to watch women play.

So yes, I think Womens Tennis deserves equal prize money with Men's tennis

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:41 am

There has always been this rivalry between the Mens and Womens game going back to the Battle Of the Sexes Matches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes

I am not sure why it is more prevalent in tennis than other sports.

If there was no mens tennis i expect Womens tennis could hold its own.

tadley
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby tadley » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:26 am

The women playing less sets argument is largely irrelevant as other than Grand Slams and Davis Cup matches both male and female play 3 sets. However I don’t see why the equal pay in tennis keeps rearing its head. They don’t have equal pay in sports like football so why tennis? If women tennis players truly want equality don’t separate the men and the women let them all play in the same tournament. But somehow I don’t think they’d go for that.

ARQ007
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby ARQ007 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:34 pm

There should be no difference in pay - if any man was to be paid less than a woman for, say, undertaking child care, he would (rightly) be up in arms about it. So why should a woman be paid less than a man for winning a tennis match? What should be at issue here is the inequity between those at the top and lower reaches of the sport, that is why there are problems wrt match fixing - but that's another issue entirely...!

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:53 pm

You can not compare sport to normal work pay conditions as in every football team or team sport you have players who might play the same position but on different money.For example Steven Gerrard and Lucas Leiva both started in midfield for Liverpool but it would be crazy to pay them the same but both where doing the same job.

JarleifMyking
Unraced
Tips

Postby JarleifMyking » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 am

who is the best long tennis women player for you guys?

JarleifMyking
Unraced
Tips

Postby JarleifMyking » Fri May 27, 2016 8:00 am

I think its Serena Williams