Golf - Player of the Week (Week 30 - W/B 31st July)

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Golf - Player of the Week (Week 30 - W/B 31st July)

Postby STEVEOCN » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:09 pm

To all members, readers and posters welcome to the 'Player Of The Week' golf thread.

Welcome to the 2017 Player of the Week thread, we are now into week 30 of the competition! Week 29 brought three places and a winner, we were so close to a transatlantic treble! steenie1 successfully picked Bernhard Langer in the Senior Open Championship while in Europe Denden had Alex Levy, the frenchman losing out in a play-off! In Canada, SB2704 picked Charley Hoffman who was also beat in a play-off, whippetman also selected Tony Finau who finished 5th!

Who will be the player/tipster of the week this week?

Tournaments taking place -

1. WGC – Bridgestone Invitational – World Golf Championship
2. Barracuda Championship – PGA Tour
3. Vierumäki Finnish Challenge – Challenge Tour
4. Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae – Web.com Tour
5. Ricoh Women’s British Open – LPGA Tour
6. TAKE Solutions Masters – Asian Tour
7. 3M Championship – Champions Tour (Friday Start)
8. Scottish Senior Open – European Senior Tour (Friday Start)
9. Sun City Challenge – Sunshine Tour (Wednesday Start)

Readers want to see your reasoning and discussion as to why they should back a particular player in the above events so please make any posts interesting and informative. Discussion is welcomed and encouraged, the more points and approaches we have in this thread can only help as we decide on our selections ahead of round one. We understand your selection may not be for a betting purpose like others but more for an OLBG selection or simply for your Fantasy Golf team so all input and opinions can only help this thread grow.

It would be great if in time we developed into a group of golf tipsters and experts each adding their ONE 'Player of the Week' accompanied by 100-125 words. Max 1 event - 1 entry only.

PLEASE NOTE - Picking the same golfer as a fellow tipster is allowed but we encourage unique picks from everyone so there is more information in our thread for all to read.
Important: All POTW comments must be original and not lifted from any source. Of course POTW players need to do research but the comments must be in your original words.

Template below, enjoy this week's golf!

Week Commencing 31st July 2017 -

Template:

Player:

Tournament:

Reasons For Support:

PLEASE NOTE - Picking the same golfer as a fellow tipster is allowed but we encourage unique picks from everyone so there is more information in our thread for all to read.
Important: All POTW comments must be original and not lifted from any source. Of course POTW players need to do research but the comments must be in your original words.
Last edited by STEVEOCN on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laursie1
Group 3 Class
Tips

Re: Golf - Player of the Week (Week 30 - W/B 31st July)

Postby laursie1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Player: Hideki Matsuyama

Tournament: World Golf Championship - Bridgestone Invitational

Reasons For Support:

Hideki Matsuyama is the world number three and he won the Waste Management Phoenix Open in February earlier this year. 2nd at the U.S. Open and 14th in the Open Championship they will two really good results in the major championship and Hideki normally keeps his form so a World Golf Championship and Major Championship in the next two weeks makes me want to bet on the Japanese golfer both weeks as I think he could get his second win of the year. 11th at the Masters was another good result for Matsuyama and he won the World Golf Championship in China at the end of 2016, the WGC HSBC Champions. He is very straight off the tee and his iron play is precise so I think Firestone should suit Matsuyama and he will be my main bet this week to warm up for the US PGA with another WGC victory. :yes:

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Player: Kevin Chappell

Tournament: WGC - Bridgestone Invitational

Reasons For Support:

Kevin Chappell claimed his maiden PGA Tour title earlier this year with victory at the Valero Texas Open and recent showings would suggest Chappy is trending in the right direction to win for a second time. 4th at the FedEx St.Jude Classic, 23rd at the U.S. Open then tied 8th last week at the RBC Canadian Open, Dottie Pepper said during on course commentary that Chappell decided to play Canada late in a bit to get some practice ahead of the WGC Bridgestone Invitational. Tied 3rd last year at Firestone Country Club, it was his first appearance at Akron and the South Course is a perfect fit for the American this week.

dwainec
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby dwainec » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 am

Player - Gary Woodland

Tournament - WGC Bridgestone Invitational

Reasons For Support -

Woodland was 4th last week in the RBC Canadian Open and with the putts he missed on the 17th & 18th green he really should have been in that play off with Hoffman and Vegas. If Woodland had any sort of a good week on the greens I think he would have won by three or four shots personally. This week is another course that will suit his big driving distance and I fully expect him to better his top 20 in 2014 at Firestone this week. Woodland Each Way good bet.

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The rabbit » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 am

Player - Brooks Koepka

Reasons For Support -

Brooks Koepka 16/1 has recently been playing the best golf of his career so far as he won the U.S.Open in June and was then jt 6th at the Open in July. The course here is longer than average for a par 70 with some long par 4's and 5's and it can suit the long hitters and Brooks is one of the longest hitters on this tour ( presently ranked 10th in the driving distance stats ). He must be feeling confident and is a good putter and his accuracy off the tee has improved recently. Had to withdraw here last year due to an ankle injury but was jt 6th in 2015 so he has some good course form.

SB2704
Listed Class
Tips

Postby SB2704 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:38 pm

Player: Jordan Spieth

Tournament: Bridgestone Invitational

Reasons: No prizes for originality or imagination but sometimes it pays to go with the obvious. Prior to the Open, I had my doubts about Spieth but the way he recovered from an early wobble in the final round removed those doubts well and truly. When on his game, he probably has the best all round game of anyone in world golf and there is little in the way of weakness. He hits it far enough off the tee, has an excellent short game and putts like a dream. Perhaps his best quality is a Tiger Woods-like ability to post a good round even when he's not at his best - a quality that I feel that most of the other major contenders at the head of the betting lack. He can boast top 10s in the last 2 years in this event, when his game was not in the shape it clearly is now, so with confidence high, he is favourite for a good reason.

I think it's worth giving a mention to a couple of players at longer prices who may go well. Justin Rose has some good performances in this event and often saves his best for the big tournaments whilst Marc Leishman has posted a top 3 in this before and is playing out of his skin. His weekend score at the Open was actually three shots better than Spieth.

denden
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby denden » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 pm

Player : Oliver Bekker

Event : Sun City Challenge

Reason for support : Oliver missed the cut last week in the European Open in Germany finishing 1 over but is back in his native South Africa this week. He is the defending champ in this on the Gary player country club course where he won it last year, Dean Burmester the favourite and close rival did win this in 2014 but on a different course. Oliver did win the Zambia Sugar Open at the end of April & The Lombard Insurance Classic in mid May and 2 more top 5 finishes this year so is in good fettle. P.S. be aware this is a Wednesday morning start. gl all.

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 am

DEADLINES -

Deadline times for this week below! A couple of senior events starting friday!

Challenge Tour - Vierumaki Finnish Challenge
START: THURSDAY 05:30

LPGA Tour - Women's British Open (Places 1-6)
START: THURSDAY 06:30

World Golf Championship - Bridgestone Invitational (Places 1-6)
START: THURSDAY 12:30

PGA Tour - Barracuda Championship (Places 1-6)
START: THURSDAY 15:00

Web.com Tour - Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae
START: THURSDAY 15:00

European Senior Tour - Scottish Senior Open
START: FRIDAY TBC

Champions Tour - 3M Championship
START: FRIDAY TBC

Good Luck!

madbobmagee
At Stud
Tips

Postby madbobmagee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Player - Sergio Garcia

Reasons For Support:

Sergio has been playing well all season on both tours, with a win apiece.The Omega Duabi Classic was the Euro Tour, can anyone guess what was the other one? He hasn't let his tempo slip after his big win as his worst result in the next 5 pga events was T37. His stats are decent too as he sits 11th in Total Driving which will come in handy around this course and he is a solid 7th in GIR, here is a stat for all you stat heads, 14 of the last 17 winners have ranked inside the Top10 for GIR, so there you go! Add in the fact that he has plenty of experience around here and even a solo 2nd in 2014. A big time player and he likes the WGCs this year too with a T9 and T12 so far. At a price of 33/1, I'll definitely have a ping.

Just on a wee side note I'm really liking Woodland and Chappell this week also and they will be carrying some of my hard earned. Woodland has the stats and Chappell the experience.

themightyduck
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby themightyduck » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Player: Brooks Koepka

Tournament: Bridgestone

Reason for Support: In great form this season and he finished 6th here in 2015 so has course form also. He of course won the US Open but also finished runner up at the Texas Open this year and arrives after a top ten finish at the Open Championship. This course suits the big hitters and Brooks is currently 10th on tour in driving distance. He's also 4th with eagles and 6th with birdie average and well capable of shooting a low score. He shot a 62 on the opening day of the Shriners in November and again on the final day of the Zurich in April this year. I think he has a great chance of another tour win here.

Fredgarv
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Fredgarv » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Player. Dean Burmester
Event. Sun City Challenge
Reason

This is an event where most of the principles look out of form and that includes my selection Burmester who is the top act in the field and despite missing the cut last year he won this home event In 2014 near enough leading from start to finish he has already had a win this year and 4 top tens to add to that only missed 2 cuts this year so very rarely has to sit out the final days and of events , yeah it is a pretty easy option but most other competition this week look a real puzzle to solve unlike this one for me anyway.

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Player. Dean Burmester
Event. Sun City Challenge
Reason

This is an event where most of the principles look out of form and that includes my selection Burmester who is the top act in the field and despite missing the cut last year he won this home event In 2014 near enough leading from start to finish he has already had a win this year and 4 top tens to add to that only missed 2 cuts this year so very rarely has to sit out the final days and of events , yeah it is a pretty easy option but most other competition this week look a real puzzle to solve unlike this one for me anyway.

Fredgarv,

Sun City Challenge began this morning, it was a Wednesday start. Pick again please!!