Golf - Player of the Week (Week 28 - W/B 17th July)

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Golf - Player of the Week (Week 28 - W/B 17th July)

Postby STEVEOCN » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 pm

To all members, readers and posters welcome to the 'Player Of The Week' golf thread.

Welcome to the 2017 Player of the Week thread, we are now into week 28 of the competition! Week 27 brought a winner and no less than three places which was a great return after a dry week! Well done to petethebet who picked Scott McCarron to win the Senior Players Championship and hats off to fredgarv, Denden & slimey with the places in the John Deere Classic! Roll on week 28 which of course is the Open Championship from Royal Birkdale! DON'T FORGET TO ENTER...THE 146TH OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP GOLF POINTS CHALLENGE which you can find in the Golf Betting section of the forum! All entries welcome, cash prizes on offer!

Who will be the player/tipster of the week this week?

Tournaments taking place -

1. The 146th Open Championship – Major Championship
2. Barbasol Championship – PGA Tour
3. Le Vaudreuil Golf Challenge – Challenge Tour
4. Pinnacle Bank Championship – Web.com Tour
5. Marathon Classic presented by Owens Corning and O-I – LPGA Tour

Readers want to see your reasoning and discussion as to why they should back a particular player in the above events so please make any posts interesting and informative. Discussion is welcomed and encouraged, the more points and approaches we have in this thread can only help as we decide on our selections ahead of round one. We understand your selection may not be for a betting purpose like others but more for an OLBG selection or simply for your Fantasy Golf team so all input and opinions can only help this thread grow.

It would be great if in time we developed into a group of golf tipsters and experts each adding their ONE 'Player of the Week' accompanied by 100-125 words. Max 1 event - 1 entry only.

PLEASE NOTE - Picking the same golfer as a fellow tipster is allowed but we encourage unique picks from everyone so there is more information in our thread for all to read.
Important: All POTW comments must be original and not lifted from any source. Of course POTW players need to do research but the comments must be in your original words.

Template below, enjoy this week's golf!

Week Commencing 17th July 2017 -

Template:

Player:

Tournament:

Reasons For Support:

PLEASE NOTE - Picking the same golfer as a fellow tipster is allowed but we encourage unique picks from everyone so there is more information in our thread for all to read.
Important: All POTW comments must be original and not lifted from any source. Of course POTW players need to do research but the comments must be in your original words.
Last edited by STEVEOCN on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Golf - Player of the Week (Week 28 - W/B 17th July)

Postby The rabbit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 am

Steve - just to say that my selection last week Brian Harman actually finished jt 10th and missed out by one shot on a top 5 place :lose:

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 am

Player: Adam Scott

Tournament: The Open Championship

Reasons For Support:

From 2012 to 2015 the Australian posted four straight top ten finishes in the Open Championship. The tied 3rd finish at Muirfield in 2013 is the one that stands out with Royal Birkdale holding similarities to the Muirfield Links. 9th at The Masters this year, Scott has made seven straight cuts in the Open and links golf really suits his game I feel. Up to 16th in Strokes Gained Tee-to-Green on the PGA Tour, Scott was 35th last week in the Scottish Open and played some nice golf over the opening two days which lead to him telling Sarah Stirk in a Sky Sports interview that he felt his game was in good shape. Since the start of the year his results haven't been all that bad with good showings at windy venues such as tied 11th at the Honda Classic and 10th at the FedEx St.Jude Classic. 9th at The Masters and 6th at The Players Championship, the Aussie only has the one major but he would dearly love a claret jug alongside his green jacket. The Royal Birkdale test might well be right down his street this week and at 33/1 I will take the price on Scotty.

denden
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby denden » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am

Player : Tommy Fleetwood

Event : THE OPEN

Reason for support : Well I will start off this week with one of my favourite players at the moment Tommy, He won the Open de France at the start of July and then came tied 10th the following week in the Irish open behind Jon Rahm who will be a huge danger along with Garcia. Yes Tommy has excelled himself this year on both sides of the Atlantic with high placed finishes. He is coming back to Royal Birkdale which is his local area which he grew up on so he will have plenty of support from friends & family, I am glad he took last week off so he could prepare properly, so let the fun begin. gl all

Fredgarv
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Fredgarv » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am

Player. Zach Johnson
Event 146th open championship
Reason
I had two on my shortlist for this although there are many many more that could have been there Matsuyama at the head of the market stands out but I am going for a biggie with Johnson who is one of the few in the field to have won this event at this course Harrington is another but the American was again a winner of the 144th open in sunny Scotland in 2015 he has looked to come back to form as well with a 5th last week in the John Deere Classic he also was a decent 27th in the us open which many players found too gruelling this course is more of that sort of test with fairways hit a must and not so much emphasis on distance and rather driving accuracy there are multiples of hazards and a tee to green player is needed generally with the fields for this always top class it is a hard one to win so the fact Johnson has won this more than once tells its own tale and there are frequent upsets in this classic event.
GOOD LUCK YALL

themightyduck
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby themightyduck » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Tournament : 146th Open

Player: Phil Mickelson

Reason for Support:
The last time the open was played at Birkdale in 2008 Mickelson finished inside the top 20 and his second round 68 was only bettered by four golfers in the entire tournament. What was more remarkable was he shot a 9 over in round one in horrendous conditions and still made the cut by two shots. Returning here this year is the first time in eleven years that Mickelson has chosen to miss the Scottish Open and arrived here on Friday to practice. It's that practice that has made up his mind to leave a driver out of his bag and instead only use 3 wood, the same he used to win the 2013 open at Muirfield. It's his preparation that I like along with being one of the best up and down golfers in the world and I think he can win a sixth major.

(Sorry made a complete mess of original tip reasoning)
Last edited by themightyduck on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Player: Padraig Harrington

Reasons For Support:

Harrington won back to back Open's in 2007 and 2008 and the second of those was the last time the Open was held here at Royal Birkdale. You cannot beat an experienced head in the British Open, it's not about how far you can hit it off the tee, it's about finding the fairways more often than not and keeping it in play. Padraig is now 45, but four of the last six Open winners were 40 or older and Zach Johnson (another with a big chance) was 39 when he won in 2015 so an old head is definitely not a disadvantage. Padraig also advertised his current form when finishing a very good eight under par in a share of fourth in the Scottish Open last weekend, shooting three rounds under 70 and a final round 66. He may run out of steam ultimately in a young man's game nowadays but I think he will give us a good run for our money where a wise head is the order of the day and not someone that can bomb it 350 yards off the tee.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

laursie1
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby laursie1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Player: Rickie Fowler

Reasons For Support:

You simply can't argue that Rickie Fowler is trending towards becoming a major champion in the game of golf and in the build up to this Open Championship Fowler has finished 2nd at the Memorial Tournament, 5th at the U.S. Open, 3rd at the Quicken Loans National and 9th last week in the Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open. He said in an interview in Scotland that links is his favourite style of golf and he was 2nd to Rory McIlroy in 2014 at Royal Liverpool not so far away in Merseyside. Rickie was also 5th in 2011 and in my eyes he is the favourite at Royal Birkdale and he will be my main bet for this week. Best of luck everyone :cool:

twfaulkner
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby twfaulkner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Player - Henrik Stenson 25/1

Tournament - 146th Open

Reasons - People will be talking about the pressure of defending the championship but the last time someone defended the Open was at Birkdale in 2008, what makes me think this could happen again is that the weather report seems to be hinting at similarly crazy conditions this time round which I think only a few players will be able to handle. Stenson showed he can handle the course in these conditions as he came tied 3rd in 2008 with only his first round being disappointing then. He also has very good tournament form as prior to last year's victory he also came second in 2013 and another third in 2010. His recent form hasn't been bad, but there have been occasional bad rounds that have let him down, however I believe all golfers will struggle with this weather and it will come down to experience and mental strength in the end (I also tipped Harrington and Fleetwood but people have got there before me).

SB2704
Listed Class
Tips

Postby SB2704 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:11 am

Player - Sergio Garcia

Tournament - 146th Open Championship

Reasons - Going back to the last renewal at Birkdale, there have been 9 winners. There have been definite trends among those 9 winners

8/9 - had a top ten in a previous Open
8/9 - had previously won a Major or WGC event
7/9 - were aged between 36 and 43
7/9 - had not previously won the Open.

This suggests that Open winners tend to be experienced players who know how to win at the top level, and have good memories of the Open without having won it. Sergio Garcia very much fits into that bracket. He also comes into the tournament with the confidence of now being a Major winner and has shown decent form since his Masters victory with a good showing at the US Open and a second place in Germany. He has the hugely impressive records of 10 top tens in 20 Opens. Not a single player has broken par in the last 2 Opens at Birkdale suggesting that accuracy off the tee, imagination, course management and good scrambling skills will be at a premium. Again those are qualities that Garcia has in abundance. Finally, he will be one of the few leading contenders this week who has played this course on those two previous occasions which ought to be in his favour (made the cut both times).

Also like the chances of Adam Scott and Zach Johnson, who previous posters have highlighted.

whippetman
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby whippetman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:27 am

Player Brian Harman

Event 146th Open Championship

Reason Ranked 136 at the start of 2017 and now up to 27th shows the massive improvement in form this year of Brian Harman, he's won the 2017 Wells Fargo Championship and more recently was a very good tied second in the U.S Open, and now has two PGA Tour wins to his name, his best effort in the Open was in 2014 when he finished 26th that was with a world ranking of 66th and after winning the John Deere Classic and in this year Open he goes into it after another very good show in the John Deere.

Fredgarv
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Fredgarv » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Player. Zach Johnson
Event 146th open championship
Reason
I had two on my shortlist for this although there are many many more that could have been there Matsuyama at the head of the market stands out but I am going for a biggie with Johnson who is one of the few in the field to have won this event at this course Harrington is another but the American was again a winner of the 144th open in sunny Scotland in 2015 he has looked to come back to form as well with a 5th last week in the John Deere Classic he also was a decent 27th in the us open which many players found too gruelling this course is more of that sort of test with fairways hit a must and not so much emphasis on distance and rather driving accuracy there are multiples of hazards and a tee to green player is needed generally with the fields for this always top class it is a hard one to win so the fact Johnson has won this more than once tells its own tale and there are frequent upsets in this classic event.
GOOD LUCK YALL
sorry just correcting a slight oversight Johnson has not won at Birkdale did win in 2015