The US Open - £20 Cash Prize for Best Tip Comment

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

The US Open - £20 Cash Prize for Best Tip Comment

Postby Zipster » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 am

OLBG is once again offering a £20 cash prize for the most informative tip comment added by a member, this time on the US Open 'To Win Outright' market.

To qualify, the tip comment must be added in the monthly competition in the usual way using the 'Make a Tip' menu -

https://www.olbg.com/members/maketip.php?id=8

Only comments on the 'To Win Outright' market will be considered for the prize so it can be either Win or Each Way.

There is a cutoff time for comments which will be considered too, these must be entered before Thursday 15th June 1pm.

We will be looking for detailed comments that will highlight some or all of the following:

- Players form coming into the tournament.
- Players previous experience of the event.
- Players previous experience of the course.
- How will players handle the conditions of the course (green speed, winds etc).
- Plus any relevant info that you feel gives your tip that edge to influence followers.

The comments team will judge the most informative tip comment added and the £20 cash prize will be paid into the winner's OLBG account.

We intend to run a £20 "best comment" competition on one event each week and to encourage more people to get involved from this event onwards the £20 prize can only be won once by any member in a calendar month.

Good luck !
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Re: The US Open - £20 Cash Prize for Best Tip Comment

Postby Zipster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:16 pm

I just wanted to personally say a big thank you to everyone who has put comments up on the US Open, I have been going events for some time now and the quality that you guys have produced for this event is right up there as one of the best which speaks volumes for the effort that everyone has put in and you are what make OLBG great!

I hope plenty of people got/get to go over these comments and they get the full exposure they deserve, once again thank you for all of your great comments on the event. :win:
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 pm

I just want to echo what Zipster has said above.

The depth of quality on show for this event is as good as I have seen in ten years on OLBG and undoubtedly anyone coming to the site looking for some insightful viewpoints would be spoilt for choice.

Thank you to everyone who has got involved and a big thank you to the guys who have put all the work in behind the scenes. :win:
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 pm

I would have to back up TeddyT and Zipster, the quality comments and reasoning will surely have given valuable insight to those looking to have an interest in the U.S. Open Golf.

It's a pity the prize only applies to the 'To Win Outright' as I seen a handful of excellent comments on First Round Leader tips.

It will be interesting to see who is nominated as the winner, OLBG are the real winners however.

While I have the chance I would like to say thanks to everyone who entered the 117th U.S. Open Points Challenge and posted in the OLBG - Golf Player of the Week thread.

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 pm

I would have to back up TeddyT and Zipster, the quality comments and reasoning will surely have given valuable insight to those looking to have an interest in the U.S. Open Golf.

It's a pity the prize only applies to the 'To Win Outright' as I seen a handful of excellent comments on First Round Leader tips.

It will be interesting to see who is nominated as the winner, OLBG are the real winners however.

While I have the chance I would like to say thanks to everyone who entered the 117th U.S. Open Points Challenge and posted in the OLBG - Golf Player of the Week thread.
The overall quality has been excellent, including for the First Round Leader as Steve mentioned and also the Group Betting markets.

A massive massive thank you to all OLBG Golf tipsters who have added their tips and analysis for the US Open which teed off a little earlier with Rickie Fowler making the early running at the time of writing.

I totally echo the thoughts of TeddyT and Zipster as this has been the hardest comment prize to adjudicate due to the high number of quality tip comments across numerous players on the outright win market.

As it has been so difficult to pinpoint a standout tip comment and were unable to narrow down a very long shortlist!, OLBG has upped the ante and have awarded 5 prizes of £10 to the following members -

steenie1 (Dustin Johnson), also added an excellent comment for Sergio Garcia.

"Dustin Johnson, the world’s number one, is the US Open defending champion, and normally so consistent. From the 11 PGA events played this season, he has 6 top ten finishes. They include 3 wins, a second, and a third place. So missing the cut at the Memorial seemed bizarre. But the birth of his second son was imminent---his partner produced the said son the other night---and immediately he crashed out of the Memorial, he flew to Erin Hills to get in a couple of practice rounds. Whether missing the cut at the Memorial was deliberate or involuntary, a lot of psychological stuff was probably in play. (Golfers are human too.)
Erin Hills should suit a big hitter like DJ, who tops the PGA stats for driving distance. He also tops the GIR (Greens in Regulation) stats with a rating of 72.53%. What that means is that DJ is the most reliable golfer on the PGA tour for hitting the ball onto the green in 1 stroke on a par 3…in 2 strokes on a par 4…and in 3 strokes on a par 5."

Moodyman (Jon Rahm), also added excellent content for Thomas Pieters, Rickie Fowler, Branden Grace and others.

"Big hitting Spaniard Jon Rahm has made quite an impact on the PGA Tour this season with a win and seven top 10’s under his belt so far. After shooting a final round 65 at the Farmers Insurance Open in February, Rahm bagged his first PGA Tour win at previous US Open venue, Torrey Pines, finishing on 13 under par in total. He has shown some great consistency this year finishing T5 at Pebble Beach, T3 at the WGC Mexico Championship, solo second at the WGC Matchplay, T10 in Houston, solo fourth at the Wells Fargo and a T2 at the Dean & Deluca in Colonial recently. Rahm has one appearance at The US Open which was last year in Oakmont where he finished in a respectable T23.
Statswise he has the length to score around this course averaging just over 305 yards off the tee ranking 13th in driving distance. He also ranks 15th in GIR, 19th in scrambling and second in par 4 scoring. Rahm is a serious talent and its only a matter of time before he wins not one, but multiple major championships in the future."

TheKnow (Bubba Watson), also added excellent content for other players including Koepka, Glover and Pieters.

"This US Open is being hosted by Erin Hills in Wisconsin. Looking at the course layout with it's four 600+ yard Par 5 holes, it's clearly going to favour the big hitters in the field - particularly when playing at it's maximum course length of 7,900 yards (can be reduced to 7,692 - depending on course setup, which will vary daily). Bubba Watson will be licking his lips at the prospect of reaching the Par 5's in two shots, when most of the field will need an extra stroke. The fairways are wider than many US Open courses, which again favours a bomber like Watson. As ever with a US Open track, the course layout will look to punish seriously errant tee-shots, but as Bubba is incredibly inventive with his shots, and no stranger to playing out of the fairway rough, I'm sure he'll manufacture ways to navigate the course and then really stamp his authority all over the Par 5's this week. In terms of recent form, he has a T5 finish at the Zurich Classic three starts ago and a T6 finish last time out at The Memorial under his belt - he's a big player this week."

abarrybonds (Kevin Kisner)

"Rising rapidly up the World Ranking s (currently in 20th) is American Kevin Kisner who has put in some fine displays in recent Major Tournaments.
12th place in the 2014 US Open, and in 2016 finished 18th in the US PGA.
He is red hot on form on the back of his last two tournamnets, winning the DEAN & DELUCA Invitational and finishing in 6th place at the Memorial.
He also finished runner up at the Arnold Palmer Invitational this year.
The Course Erin Hills, Wisconsin, is a course that will reward good course management, playing the safe shots and keeping out of bogey danger, stats such as good ball striking are a plus for sure!
Kevin Kisner has this where he ranks 30th in the PGA this year.
When you consider his Top Tens of 6 have only been super-seeded by one with Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas and Wonderkid Jon Rahm 7 then 50/1 Each Way looks a superb bet this week."

petethebet (Justin Rose), also added excellent content for Paul Casey.

"The cream has risen to the top in the recent renewals, five of the past six winners were ranked in the top fifteen in the World when they triumphed. One of them was Justin and a few other trends are in his favour this week. The last seven winners had previously posted a top twenty finish in the event. Nine of the past ten had not played in the previous week's event so players who come here fresh could have an advantage. Justin has not only had a break since the BMW PGA Championship but he spent the last week at Erin Hills, getting in two days course practice. That experience could be useful and the course does appear to suit his game. He is ranked highly for previous results on long, wide courses and performs well on bentgrass greens.
This is a player who seems to raise his game in the big events, he won the Olympic Gold and was runner up at the Masters. With a hot putter Rose could be in bloom at the U.S. Open."

A big thank you once again from OLBG to our golf tipsters for the excellent high quality analysis offered for followers and apologies to those who missed out on a prize on this occasion. It really was so difficult to judge due to the high quality on offer and with the British Open coming up next month there will be a prize up for grabs there.

Winners prizes have been allocated to OLBG accounts and the very best of luck to all members who have tipped on the US Open, there's the monthly golf competition prizes up for grabs.

Thanks again and enjoy the golf.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

abarrybonds
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby abarrybonds » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Many thanks for the £10 Spot Prize, as always I try my very best to be informative and give valid reasons for backing one of my tips,
after all I would like to assure followers that they have Good reasons when I believe I have unearthed a Value Selection.
:cool: It was a lovely surprise today when I logged into my OLBG Account!!
Let us enjoy the Tournament! Best of Luck All! :eyebrows:

steenie1
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby steenie1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 am

Just to say thanks for the spot prize. It's the first time I have won one, so I was thrilled. And to echo----so many excellent comments

Shelkero
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Shelkero » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Good idea to offer a prize for comments but I an very surprised that the prizes were awarded before the Tournament finished. None of the players mentioned featured well in the Tournament and I would have been miffed if I had tipped Koepka and not been offerd one of the prizes. I selected Brian Harman Each Way at 200-1 and was quite pleased that he was second, and if he had won I would have disappointed not to colect. I suggest that in future the prize be offerd post event not before.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Good idea to offer a prize for comments but I an very surprised that the prizes were awarded before the Tournament finished. None of the players mentioned featured well in the Tournament and I would have been miffed if I had tipped Koepka and not been offerd one of the prizes. I selected Brian Harman Each Way at 200-1 and was quite pleased that he was second, and if he had won I would have disappointed not to colect. I suggest that in future the prize be offerd post event not before.

Why should it be awarded after the event?

The comments that were written were very worthy winners and obviously were better than any comments made on the top 5/6 finishers, otherwise 1 of those writers would have won the award.

The title of the thread was "£20 Cash Prize for Best Tip Comment", it's good the way it is and it's good to read some great comments.

Long may these threads continue.

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks for your feedback "Shelkero".

As Micko touched on, the £20 prize award is for the best content and is judged by the comments team before the events starts. As mentioned in our earlier post, we were overwhelmed with the high level of quality content and analysis put forward by our golf tipsters of which yours was certainly one and obviously the excellent advice very nearly paid off with a 200/1 win and was still a very nice reward for OLBG users who followed your advice and backed Each Way.

OLBG extended the initial £20 prize for the top comment to £50 (5 prizes of £10 each) because it was so difficult to highlight a standout comment and analysis due to the high level of quality. OLBG have generously offered these additional prizes recently starting with the end of season major football finals and these extra prizes are in addition to the £7000+ being paid each month in the tipping competitions. The prize offered is for the best content and analysis put forward and not necessarily a winning tip, users accessing OLBG to view our tipsters US Open thoughts and advice would have been treated to some excellent content and tip analysis before finally deciding on who they wanted to follow and bet.

OLBG will be running a series of these extra incentives on the big events throughout the summer and beyond as it raises the profile of the excellent knowledge and tip analysis provided by OLBG tipsters that is readily available for OLBG users accessing the app looking for betting guidance.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Shelkero
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Shelkero » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am grateful for all of the prizes on offer and they certainly add to the weekend enjoyment on Golf for me. It was only after the event had finished that I saw the Blog about the comments prize and my observation was based on the expectation that the Brooks Koepka selectors would be rewarded. Please do not treat my response as ungrateful or as an agitant, but instead as what it was intended to be, an observation.