Golf - Player of the Week (Week 23 - W/B 12th June)

twfaulkner
Group 1 Class
Tips

Re: Golf - Player of the Week (Week 23 - W/B 12th June)

Postby twfaulkner » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Player: Jason Dufner 55/1

Tournament: US Open

Reasons: Can't be in better form than having a victory in your last tournament, but has also only missed 2 cuts in 16 tournaments and 10 top 25 finishes from last 14 events. His form at past US Opens has been strong also with 3 top 10s in last 5. Dufner has had a week off since winning the Byron Nelson so should be well rest coming into this one, and whilst he may not be the biggest hitter, he is ranked 3rd in the tour for number of eagles so this may not be particularly detrimental. He is a bit of an all rounder and I think that will be more important than individual strengths.

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Player: Justin Thomas

Tournament: U.S. Open

Reasons For Support:

Erin Hills will be a new venue to the majority of this field, but there are eighteen guys who played here in the US Amateur event in 2011 and Justin Thomas is one of those which is advantageous. He started 2017 in blistering form winning back to back in Hawaii back in January, two missed cuts in his next three events followed before a very good share of fifth in the WGC Mexico event in March. A slow start in the Masters saw him out of contention but improved over the weekend to finish in a share of twenty second. Only played three events since, the first of those was a share of fifth in the pairs event in New Orleans before struggling like many of the top guys at Sawgrass. His share of fourth at the Memorial two weeks ago probably puts him slightly ahead on current form in relation to the other likely winners and I like the previous course form in event format (albeit amateur level) which gives him an edge here.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

steenie1
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby steenie1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Aside from DJ, I'm still mulling over choices for the US Open so for this challenge I'll go for the ladies tourney.
Player: Lexi Thompson
Event: Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give – LPGA Tour
Reason for support:
Lexi Thompson has played 10 events on the LPGA Tour since January and has posted 5 Top Ten finishes. Those include a win, two outright second places, a T2 and a T4. The T2 came last week in the Manulife which she blew on the last day after looking all over the winner. The first three days, she scored 67, 65, 67---then on the last day (after being 4 strokes ahead after the 9th) she somehow contrived to post four bogeys on the back 9, including missing a four-foot putt. She ended up on par for the day and went into a play-off. Even so, she still finished -17 under par. Her scoring average is sub-70 at 69.08. and she's second in the LPGA rankings for both driving distance and GIR (Greens in Regulation). After coming so close last week, I think she'll have her mojo (and putting skills) back for this

clem7750
Handicapper
Tips

Postby clem7750 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Player: Rahm

Tournament: U.S Open

Reasons For Support: superb statistics this season so far. Has 7 top 10 finishes. Only Dustin has the same amount. Rahm is under no pressure at the age of 22. Erin Hills a Par: 72, 7,692 yards golf course with no trees but penal rough. Much conversation has been about how thick the rough if but many people are not talking about how wide the fairways are 30,40,50 yards wide. The course is a long course and requires a long drive off the tee otherwise you are hitting 200+ yards into the green. Rahm is ranked 13th for Driving distance, 5th for birdie average, 7th for scoring average and 15th for G.I.R. looks perfect for this type of course just need a to keep his mental game strong.

Ralfie1982
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Ralfie1982 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 pm

I was going to go with Fowler but I seehe has been picked already, and in the good spirit of the thread, I have looked to one of my other strong selections :

Player Thomas Pieter 50/1

Tournament US Open

Reason :

"If you want a big time player, then this is your man! You only have to look at the WGC in Mexico (T5) at The Masters was T4 and a T2 at The Genesis. That is just his form here in the US of which this is his first season, if you look at his ET form he has 3 wins over there. His scoring in the states averages at 69.67, gains 0.908 in SGATG, and 0.581 on putting. So much to like about the Big Belgian."
Cheers

Paul (Ralfie1982)
OLBG Moderator
Twitter : Ralfie01

My blogs on F1, Golf and CPFC are right here : http://www.olbg.com/blogs/Ralfie1982

slimey
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby slimey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:01 am

Player: Sergio Garcia

Tournament:usOpen

Reason. A few year ago I said on olbg that he would never win a major. His attitude and self belief was not good. However, since he is settled down, has a great partner he seems different. He won the master's and altho I don't like his behaviour on the course acting like a spoilt child sometimes, he has the golf game. Straight hitting and being sensible. Course like this should suit him.

HiggsBosunBlues1
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby HiggsBosunBlues1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 am

Player; Charles Schwartzel

Event; US Open

Finished second last week and could well have won if not for a few shaky puts. He has been fairly consistent this year and has performed reasonably well in the last two US Opens. There is also the fact that he finished 3rd in the Masters this year and it's easy to see how he can raise his game to match the event. I think another factor in his favour is accuracy off the tee. It could be vital on this course and he is ranked 6th. (I'll be backing F.Molinari as well as he is the most accurate) He finished 7th in the 2015 event. He's on form and accurate. Just needs to steady that putting stroke.

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm

FINAL SELECTIONS -

The deadlines have passed and here are this week's picks! Enjoy the U.S. Open!

MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP- 117th U.S. Open Championship (Places 1-7)
Denden - Dustin Johnson @ 8/1
formallyknownas - Jordan Spieth @ 16/1
whippetman - Jordan Spieth @ 16/1
STEVEOCN - Jason Day @ 16/1
themightyduck - Jon Rahm @ 20/1
clem7750 - Jon Rahm @ 20/1
The Rabbit - Rickie Fowler @ 22/1
slimey - Sergio Garcia @ 25/1
attitude adjuster - Justin Thomas @ 33/1
PompeyJim - Justin Thomas @ 33/1
Shelkero - Paul Casey @ 50/1
Ralfie1982 - Thomas Pieters @ 50/1
twfaulkner - Jason Dufner @ 55/1
HiggsBosunBlues1 - Charl Schwartzel @ 60/1
laursie1 - Patrick Reed @ 90/1

Challenge Tour - Hauts de France Golf Open (Places 1-5)
petethebet - Lorenzo Gagli @ 40/1

LPGA Tour - Meijer LPGA Classic (Places 1-5)
steenie1 - Lexi Thompson @ 8/1

GOOD LUCK!
2017 Golf Showdown Winner

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 am

UPDATE -

Going into the weekend, we have Casey and Fowler right at the top with Garcia, Thomas and Reed only a couple of shots back!

formallyknownas - Jordan Spieth @ 16/1
whippetman - Jordan Spieth @ 16/1
The Rabbit - Rickie Fowler @ 22/1
slimey - Sergio Garcia @ 25/1
attitude adjuster - Justin Thomas @ 33/1
PompeyJim - Justin Thomas @ 33/1
Shelkero - Paul Casey @ 50/1
laursie1 - Patrick Reed @ 90/1

petethebet - Lorenzo Gagli @ 40/1

steenie1 - Lexi Thompson @ 8/1

GOOD LUCK!

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:54 am

FINAL RESULTS -

Well three places this week, one in each of the three events the members covered with their tips! It could have been so much more as we were eyeing a treble going into the last day but it wasn't to be! Well done to The Rabbit, petethebet and steenie1 for their selections below!

The Rabbit - Rickie Fowler @ 22/1 - Tied 5th

petethebet - Lorenzo Gagli @ 40/1 - Tied 2nd

steenie1 - Lexi Thompson @ 8/1 - Tied 2nd

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:12 am

Unlucky guys with the wins but placed money if you backed Each Way in real life.

Leaderboard will be updated today.