How Can I Increase My Golf Betting Knowledge?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

How Can I Increase My Golf Betting Knowledge?

Postby nors » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:18 pm

On the racing forum members added their racing knowledge and discussed ways members could increase their knowledge so they could make more money from betting on horses.
https://www.olbg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61257

This discussion would work well on most sports so i thought we could try and get members to add their knowledge on golf betting to assist others.

If you imagine you are helping out a complete novice to golf betting what pointers would you advise so that the reader could make regular winning golf bets?

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: How Can I Increase My Golf Betting Knowledge?

Postby STEVEOCN » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:43 pm

A brilliant starting point would be the Smart Golf Bets site.

https://sites.google.com/site/smartgolfbets/

When the page loads down the left hand side click on 'Tournaments'

You will see a list of events on for the coming week and you can click into the events to see the field taking part. The page will be layed out in three areas, the entry list to the left, course form in the middle and recent form to the right. You can see who is playing well of late aswell as who does well at this week's course.

The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The rabbit » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:19 pm

There are a lot of stats to study on the different golf tour websites which give a guideline to the strength and weaknesses of a golf player and they can be very helpful especially on the PGA tour. Maybe the best way to increase knowledge is to watch as much golf as possible. It is a way of learning about the players and their style and finding out how good they are at different aspects of their game and how they deal with the pressure of leading a golf event with a few holes to play. It can also help to look at the demeanour and body language of the players. I remember watching Nick Watney play some years ago and I was impressed with his attitude and game and thought it likely that he would win a PGA event and he did so a few weeks later at odds of 100/1. Some players want to win more than others and there are a fair amount of ' journeymen ' in golf who are competent but are very unlikely to improve any further.

Winning a standard PGA Tour event will mean that the player obtains a tour card for a minimum of two years and he will win prize money which can be a significant amount of money. Some players win their maiden PGA event and it can give some players the confidence to do better if they are good enough but a lot will relax and not try as hard as they were previously and are content to do reasonably well and keep their tour card but lack the motivation to improve and win more events. For example, Charles Howell III has only won two PGA events and has not won one since 2007 but he has played well enough to keep his PGA tour card and he has now earned a total of 31 million dollars from playing golf as a professional. I rarely bet on him.

Listening to what some commentators and pundits have to say can also help as these people know a lot about golf and can give out information about players which is useful.

I moved house about 3 years ago and no longer have Sky tv and therefore do not watch much PGA tour golf and my success with golf betting is not as good as it was since then so I think that watching golf regularly can be a big help and the same principle probably applies with betting on other sports.

Enrique125
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Enrique125 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:43 pm

:win: good tips thank you very much! useful for me as well.

Shelkero
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Shelkero » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Firstly, watching the tournaments on Sky, but to add to that two podcasts available weekly which review and preview tournaments are European Tour Race to Dubai and Golf Channel.com Monday Scramble podcast - good luck

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:58 am

Is there any specific reason Shelkero why you find the podcasts helpful?

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Firstly, watching the tournaments on Sky, but to add to that two podcasts available weekly which review and preview tournaments are European Tour Race to Dubai and Golf Channel.com Monday Scramble podcast - good luck
Shelkero, there is a William Hill Golf Podcast aswell that comes out every tuesday and they have insight into the coming week's events.

Also, http://www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk/ is a very good website. They again post up tips, research and a predictor model for the coming week. There is a THIS WEEK box on the main home page of the website and you will clearly see the two tournaments of the week there with links to click. Paul Williams and Steve Bamford run the website, both are really good guys who know their stuff.

If you look on their site, listen to a few podcasts and check the Smart Golf Bets https://sites.google.com/site/smartgolfbets/ tournament sheets that will give you alot of help towards who may go well every week but of course we all have our own fancies which combined with all of the above gives us the best chance to bag some golf winnings.

Shelkero
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Shelkero » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:58 pm

There is a difference between golf knowledge and golf betting websites.

I personally find that listening to the podcasts and watching Sky regularly increases my knowledge of current form, particularly patchy players who can shoot a 65 followed by a 75. This is knowledge gained, which can then be used to support a selection.

I don't rely on an opinion of a website for a bet, unless they are quoting data for players from years ago about a particular course or Tournament, to which I have not noted myself.Good luck.

Ralfie1982
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Ralfie1982 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 am

I agree with the consensus that knowledge and betting are different.

I spend hours researching the content to my blogs each week, looking at history, type of course, past trends, is it a new venue all play a part. Before I have even looked at the field I get a feel for whether its a big hitter, iron star or GIR type player.

In terms of knowledge, its all about social media for me, watching the PGA Tour / European Tour feeds they chuck out some good stats, following key players they'll often give away how they are feeling going into an event, or when they are getting there if they are travelling along way. It for me is all about absorbing whats freely out there, but also if you get a call wrong suss out why you got it wrong.
Cheers

Paul (Ralfie1982)
OLBG Moderator
Twitter : Ralfie01

My blogs on F1, Golf and CPFC are right here : http://www.olbg.com/blogs/Ralfie1982

patswin
2yo
Tips

Postby patswin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:25 pm

I agree with most others advice in this thread, I watch as much as I can. PGA, LPGA,web tours. The announcers can give out a few nuggests from time to time that can be useful.
90% of my bets are H2h matchups, for the tournament or the round only. I find it easier to pick those rather than tournament winner. Because I am in the USA my options are limited for e/w bets etc...

For research i use smartgolfbets, tour-tips.com and golfobserver.com. The last 2 are paid sites that give more stats and can be geared towards the DFS players.

achalghai
2yo
Tips

Postby achalghai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:47 am

Golf is a game that requires a great deal of technique and also must not be used the training course up until you have learned how to play to a standard that will certainly enable your to stay up to date with play. I'm sure you've experienced the feeling of playing under pressure on the golf course. Being able to discover the positive in any type of situation can become a habit, which could actually assist you during a round of golf. It's something that you improve at, the extra you practice it.

Marciii
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Marciii » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:38 pm

For me golf betting is about getting value from your bets (as it would be for any other type of gambling).

Sure everyone who has taken the time to join this betting site already uses oddchecker.com but it's a real must as a few points here & there can be the difference between a profitable year or a loss... smartgolfbets.com does save me hours & hours going through old course form but I will still often take a quick look on say the Europeontour/PGA/LPGA websites to see who may have shot a couple of good rounds but finished mid-table in prior years. Steve at golfbettingsystem.com does great write up's each week, I really like the quotes he finds from the players that give you a players insight into the course & how it will play.

My system is to do my homework/research on a Sunday & make a shortlist of players I like & prices I feel would offer me some value, if a player dont make my price expectation i'll be happy to drop them. Often this Sunday work is binned & a price pops up i just didnt expect to see.

Watching as much golf as poss also help's, scoring doesnt always represent true form, I recall a couple of years back seeing Michele Wie get every bad bounce possible & shooting par but next week she was 250/1 still, she didnt win but finished 3rd & i'd really lump on for a nice payday. Most golf tourneys can be streamed here http://cricfree.sc/golf-live-streaming- for those without sky/golf channel.
Lastly, chat with the players, ask them how the course played in the pro-am or in practice, what the stimp meter readings are ect. Most players will reply if you contact them on facebook, twitter ect...