Shares

matman86
Classic Winner
Tips

Shares

Postby matman86 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 am

Hello,

I dont understand how shares work in anyway other than the basic way of you buy shares and get paid a div at set times of the year if the company is doing well.

Have just had a friend on the phone who is looking at making his first shares purchase due to recently coming into some money but is unsure on part of this.

The question is if you buy shares in a company are you liable for the debt too. For example buying shares in a failing company do you take on part of the debt too.
Would i be right in my advice aswell that if the company go into admin the shares go on hold.
TWITTER ---- @theedgar501

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 pm

My knowledge may be a bit out of date as I haven't invested in shares since Maggie stopped selling the family silver. But I'm sure I will be corrected if wildly wrong.
if you buy shares in a company are you liable for the debt too. For example buying shares in a failing company do you take on part of the debt too.

Like all investors in limited companies or PLCs you are only liable for the extent of your investment - i.e limited liability.

Would i be right in my advice aswell that if the company go into admin the shares go on hold.
Administration (& Chapter 11 protection in US) is a nightmare for investors. It takes ages and costs fortunes and your close to the bottom of the final payout list unlike the administrators who sit proudly at the top!!

Personally Id make sure your friend bought into funds rather than bought direct. Let the sharks swim for you rather than at you. It also softens the blow when one of your companies goes under or gets rumbled.

Use all tax free/efficient investment allowances naturally.

Be Lucky :)

sergeant_cecil
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby sergeant_cecil » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am

Remember Northern Rock !!

I have good cause to !

:x

SBBeginner
2yo
Tips

Postby SBBeginner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:45 pm

[REMOVED]

Liverpool1985
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Liverpool1985 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:04 am

I wish I could get my Old Man to come on this website as he is an expert on shares and the profit he makes puts my betting to shame.

He loves talking about it and I struggle to shut him up once he starts yapping about where he will be investing next etc etc.

It just doesn't interest me. Not got enough patience.

Lately he keeps going on about Gold? Seems to be making a lot of money out of this. Not sure what Shares this involves etc. He also loves shares that pay dividends.

Chances I will get him to join the site are less than me turning my £1.00 into £10000.00 in the Challenge Thread LOL. So not much hope.

He spends around 3 hours a day researching shares.
Anyone who has actually read Plato and thinks Atlantis existed, has my sympathy.

Liverpool1985
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Liverpool1985 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks Machine, i have just endured the most boring 10 minute conversation of my life :lol:

He said something about he has heard about possibilities the American Dollar could match the price of Gold in the future? Also something about Mineral Shares going up soon? blah de blah de blah :P

Anyway, I am off to research Germans 5th Division Football to bring me back to my reality :lol:

Can't say I understood most of what he said :cool:
Anyone who has actually read Plato and thinks Atlantis existed, has my sympathy.

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 am

Its a funny old world when a Premier League team are sponsored by a foreign currency trading company, FX Pro. There is indeed only one F in Fulham.

With the unions so weak in the UK and the spending cuts liable to be relatively unopposed it seems a mystery to me that the GBP is so weak compared to the Euro. The Euro basket is as weak as its weakest country - take your pick from France, Spain, Ireland, Greece or maybe one of the new boys. One GBP is worth 1.17730 Euros, should be 1.60 - just like a few years back.

benfinance
Unraced
Tips

Postby benfinance » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Liverpool1985, you should definitely get your dad to join the forum. I'm planning on starting to trade in share so it would cool to get some tips on how to profit from it.

Can you ask him where and how he researches on what share to trade on please? You'd probably get a lecture for asking him :P but I'd really appreciate it :D

Hindsight
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Hindsight » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Benfinance

Liverpool1985 as a share topic here
http://www.olbg.com/forum/topic12_34491.html