What are Free Bets?
Most betting sites offer free bet deals to encourage people to register and start betting with them.
A free bet is a sum of money which the bookmaker will allow you to wager on a market. If the outcome you pick loses, it costs you nothing. If the bet wins then you will receive the profit from your free bet. Please note that you will not normally receive the free bet value in any returns - only the profit. For example if your free bet is to the value of £25 and you make a selection at 2/1 which wins. You will see a return of £50 - you don't get the £25 free bet back to use again!
What can I use a free bet on?
This varies depending on the bookmaker and deal. But often there are no restrictions to what you can place your free bet on. The restrictions tend to be on the bet you need to place in order to qualify for receiving the free bet. Sometimes your first bet must be on an outcome above a certain price, say EVS. Sometimes it needs to be on events where there are three or more outcomes. Sometimes you need to make your first bet on a particular event or sport to qualify for a free bet. Sometimes a combination of two or more of these terms. The important thing is to always read through the free bet terms and conditions before opening the account so you can be sure.
These are questions to ask yourself when looking at a bookmakers free bet terms and conditions.
- How much you need to deposit?
- How much you need to bet?
- Which bet your free bet applies to - i.e. some bookmakers will match your first bet with them only?
- What odds you need to bet at to qualify?
- Do you need to bet on a specific sport or event?
- Do there need to be a certain number of outcomes in such an event?
- What is the time period within which you need to use your free bet?
- When will the free bet be available and how will it show on your account?
- Do you need to make a certain number of bets or bet a certain amount before you can withdraw any bonus payment?
Different Free Bet Types and Amounts
The type of free bet promotions vary greatly and its important to understand the differences before you try and get your free bet.
Hover your mouse over the bookmaker logos to see details of their latest free bet offer.
Free Match Bet
Bet £25 get £25 - This is one of the most popular types of free bet. Open an account and bet a sum , then the bookmaker will match that sum with a free bet token. There is normally a minimum and maximum limit on the value of the bet the bookmaker will match with a free bet. For example the bookmaker may say bet between £5 and £25 and we will match it with a free bet.
Series of free bets
Bet £30 get 3x £10 bets. Similar to a match bet but the free bet is split into several bets. So you maybe required to place your first bet of £30 and then your account will be credited with three £10 bets. Maybe in one go or over a three week period to encourage you to come back and use the bookmaker site regularly.
Free Bet Baskets
With this type of free bet offer, your first bet will be matched with more free bets available once you've placed a series of further bets. Play close attention to the qualifying terms but you can be well rewarded for your continual use of a bookmaker.
Open an online account and the bookmaker will pay you a bonus if your first bet is a winner. The bonus is sometimes calculated on the basis of the odds of your winning bet with the longer the odds, the bigger the bonus.
Rather than a straight match bonus, the bookmaker gives you a % of your deposit. Often they will give you a 50% bonus on your first deposit up to a maximum amount. Make sure you read the terms as to when you can withdraw the bonus as often you will have to bet the figure several times before it can be withdrawn from your account.
Rather than the free bet being in relation to your first bet, it depends on your deposit amount. Often a bookmaker will match your initial deposit with a bonus credit, sometimes up to 100%. Again, make sure you are clear as to when this bonus maybe withdrawn from your account.
Open an account with and receive a % cash-back on your first bet up to a maximum amount. Rather than a free bet, your account is credited with cash! Again, check the details as to when you can withdraw this cash.
Exclusive Free Bet Deals
These are deals which aren't available by going direct to the online bookmaker site. For example, at OLBG we have negotiated free bet deals with several bookmakers. If you go direct to Paddy Powers site and register you wont get a free bet. But if you go via a link on OLBG you can claim up to £30 of free bets.
Have a look at our free bet list here
Don't miss out on Free Bets
Don't miss any free bet offers. Sign up to our free alert service. If there are any new or improved free bet promotions we will email you to inform you. We are always trying to negotiate new and better free bet deals for our users so its well worth signing up to the alerts service.
Want to keep In The Know? Register at OLBG and sign up to receive free bet updates
Step By Step Guide To Getting Your Free Bet
- Pick a Bookmaker - we have a list of bookmakers who offer free bets here
- Go to the bookmakers site - go via a link on OLBG as some of the free bet deals aren't available if you go direct to the bookmaker site. Also with many of the bookmakers we have arranged specific landing pages where the free bet and registration details are clearer to see - click on the link of the bookmaker you want to visit on the free bets page.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions of the free bet and account
- Once you know what you need to do to get your free bet, complete the registration form
- Once Registered you will normally need to deposit funds - again make sure you know how much you need to deposit in order to claim your free bet.
- Once deposited you will need to make your first bet - make sure you know how much you need to bet to claim the free bet amount you want. Also make sure you know what sports, events and at what odds your bet will need to be placed at in order to qualify for the free bet.
- Now find out when you will receive your free bet. Note that some bookmakers will require your first bet to be settled before releasing your free bet. So make sure you haven't placed the bet on an event which is taking place in a few months time!
- Find out how the free bet is given to you - and how you use it. Some bookmakers will simply credit your account - some will give you a token and you will need to submit details when placing your free bet. Note that some free bets have an expiry date i.e. they may need to be used say within 30 days.
Now go and get another free bet!