OLBG.com
Register

Login

Help

FAQ Search Groups Register Profile PMs New Posts Rules
Shares
Post new topic    Reply to topic    OLBG Sports Betting Forum Index -> Spread Betting & Financial Betting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matman86
Classic Winner

Read My Blog!

Cash Winnings: 455
Free Bets Won: 0

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 am     Post subject: Shares Reply with quote

Hello,

I dont understand how shares work in anyway other than the basic way of you buy shares and get paid a div at set times of the year if the company is doing well.

Have just had a friend on the phone who is looking at making his first shares purchase due to recently coming into some money but is unsure on part of this.

The question is if you buy shares in a company are you liable for the debt too. For example buying shares in a failing company do you take on part of the debt too.
Would i be right in my advice aswell that if the company go into admin the shares go on hold.
Betfairalfie
Stallion

Cash Winnings: 835
Free Bets Won: 20

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge may be a bit out of date as I haven't invested in shares since Maggie stopped selling the family silver. But I'm sure I will be corrected if wildly wrong.

Quote:
if you buy shares in a company are you liable for the debt too. For example buying shares in a failing company do you take on part of the debt too.

Like all investors in limited companies or PLCs you are only liable for the extent of your investment - i.e limited liability.

Quote:
Would i be right in my advice aswell that if the company go into admin the shares go on hold.

Administration (& Chapter 11 protection in US) is a nightmare for investors. It takes ages and costs fortunes and your close to the bottom of the final payout list unlike the administrators who sit proudly at the top!!

Personally Id make sure your friend bought into funds rather than bought direct. Let the sharks swim for you rather than at you. It also softens the blow when one of your companies goes under or gets rumbled.

Use all tax free/efficient investment allowances naturally.

Be Lucky Smile
Show Tipping Performance View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
sergeant_cecil
Triple Crown Winner

Cash Winnings: 0

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Northern Rock !!

I have good cause to !

:x
Show Tipping Performance View user's profile Send private message
SBBeginner
2yo

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:45 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

[REMOVED]
Liverpool1985
At Stud

Read My Blog!

Cash Winnings: 180

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:04 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get my Old Man to come on this website as he is an expert on shares and the profit he makes puts my betting to shame.

He loves talking about it and I struggle to shut him up once he starts yapping about where he will be investing next etc etc.

It just doesn't interest me. Not got enough patience.

Lately he keeps going on about Gold? Seems to be making a lot of money out of this. Not sure what Shares this involves etc. He also loves shares that pay dividends.

Chances I will get him to join the site are less than me turning my 1.00 into 10000.00 in the Challenge Thread LOL. So not much hope.

He spends around 3 hours a day researching shares.
machine
Stallion

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

gold has gone.well done to your dad. Win .and that dont mean it has finished.just max profit has. Cool
Liverpool1985
At Stud

Read My Blog!

Cash Winnings: 180

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Machine, i have just endured the most boring 10 minute conversation of my life Laughing

He said something about he has heard about possibilities the American Dollar could match the price of Gold in the future? Also something about Mineral Shares going up soon? blah de blah de blah Cheeky

Anyway, I am off to research Germans 5th Division Football to bring me back to my reality Laughing

Can't say I understood most of what he said Cool
machine
Stallion

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

he is a scammer mate,will be gone tomorrow. Laughing .listen to your dad a bit more,better than footie by far, Laughing Cool Win
Betfairalfie
Stallion

Cash Winnings: 835
Free Bets Won: 20

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a funny old world when a Premier League team are sponsored by a foreign currency trading company, FX Pro. There is indeed only one F in Fulham.

With the unions so weak in the UK and the spending cuts liable to be relatively unopposed it seems a mystery to me that the GBP is so weak compared to the Euro. The Euro basket is as weak as its weakest country - take your pick from France, Spain, Ireland, Greece or maybe one of the new boys. One GBP is worth 1.17730 Euros, should be 1.60 - just like a few years back.
Show Tipping Performance View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
benfinance
Unraced

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liverpool1985, you should definitely get your dad to join the forum. I'm planning on starting to trade in share so it would cool to get some tips on how to profit from it.

Can you ask him where and how he researches on what share to trade on please? You'd probably get a lecture for asking him Cheeky but I'd really appreciate it Very Happy
Hindsight
Classic Winner

Cash Winnings: 80
Free Bets Won: 10

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Benfinance

Liverpool1985 as a share topic here
http://www.olbg.com/forum/topic12_34491.html
Reply to topic    OLBG Sports Betting Forum Index -> Spread Betting & Financial Betting
Page 1 of 1

OLBG Tipster Competition Prize Increases And Changes

Betting School

Football Bloggers - 2014/15 Premiership Season - Apply

Tell your mates about OLBG and
Earn Some £££

Sporting Index
Get £100 in Free Bets
Join Sporting Index today and they’ll give you £100 of their money to get you started. Keep what you win, they’ll cover what you lose up to £100.
Losses may exceed your deposit or credit limit

Jump to: