OLBG.com
Register

Login

Help

FAQ Search Groups Register Profile PMs New Posts Rules
PGA Tour - The Honda Classic Feb 27th - March 2nd 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    OLBG Sports Betting Forum Index -> Golf Betting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner

Read My Blog!

Cash Winnings: 1825
Free Bets Won: 35

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:49 am     Post subject: PGA Tour - The Honda Classic Feb 27th - March 2nd 2014 Reply with quote

The PGA tour moves to Florida this week for The Honda Classic which is played at the National Champion Course at Palm Beach Gardens and this course has been used for this event since 2007. It is a lot different than the one used in the Matchplay last week and is well known for the ' Bear trap ' which are three consecutive difficult holes....15, 16 & 17. This can produce a very exciting finish as the difficult ' Bear trap ' is followed by the easier 18th which is a par 5 reachable in two shots and 13 eagles and 158 birdies were made on this hole in 2013.

The course is about 7200 yards and is a par 70 with two par 5's and it has many bunkers and it is one of the toughest tracks on the PGA Tour and is usually ranked in the top 10 of most difficult and was ranked 2nd in difficulty on the PGA TOUR in 2011 and 11th in 2012 and 2nd in 2013. Windy conditions at this course often make it hard to play on.

The past seven champions of this tournament with their final scores are -

2013 Michael Thompson - 9
2012 Rory McIlroy - 12
2011 Rory Sabbatini -9
2010 Camilo Villegas -13
2009 Y E Yang -9
2008 Ernie Els -6
2007 Mark Wilson -5

A lot of the top players are competing in this and they include Tiger, Rory, Phil Mickelson and Adam Scott.

Often find this an interesting event but a difficult one to get the winner of Confused

Pete
The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner

Read My Blog!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:23 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

B/Fair have a market up for this and I am happy with the odds for my three selections which are -

Justin Rose
25/1 is a slightly tentative choice as he is recovering from a shoulder injury but he is capable of playing very good golf and has improved in recent years with five victories on the PGA tour and won the U S Open last year. This is the type of course that he can perform well on and he was 3rd in 2010, jt 5th in 2012 and jt 4th last year so he has decent course form.

Graeme McDowell 25/1 performed well at the Matchplay last week before losing in the quarter finals. He can perform well on difficult courses as he showed when he won the US Open in 2010 and I often think that he is best on par 70 courses and he has played well at this course previously as he came jt 6th in 2011, jt 9th in 2012 and was jt 9th last year so could do well again this week.

Peter Hanson 100/1 has not played a strokeplay event on the PGA tour this year yet but has competed on the European tour with his best effort so far in 2014 being a jt 10th in Abu Dhabi. Conditions can get windy here and I have seen him play well in difficult windy weather. He is an experienced player who has six European tournaments and played quite well on this course in 2013 when jt 13th.

Good luck everybody Smile

Pete

Last edited by The rabbit on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Betting Blog Show Tipping Performance View user's profile Send private message
Tricky Tree
Group 1 Class

Cash Winnings: 0
Free Bets Won: 0

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

G Mac a stand out 28/1 with Stan James

My tip for the week also for reasons you state. Was one of the best under par for 1st 3 rounds last week also (-12)
Show Tipping Performance View user's profile Send private message
PIRWIN
Group 3 Class

Cash Winnings: 795
Free Bets Won: 260

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have another look at the field tomorrow, but I was keen to get this selection posted up. This is a young man who was impressive in Dubai recently, lives near here and I think he can contend this week being on an upward curve.

Brooks Koepka 125/1 EW
Brooks Koepka is a very interesting young golfer who is a local Florida resident, hailing from nearby Wellington. He is 23 year old, and was an excellent T3 in his last outing in Dubai and is starting to string together some eye catching performances. He led the Frys.com open after three rounds in October 2013, before finishing T4, and plays here under a sponsor invite. I can see him showing up well, having worked his way through the Challenge Tour in Europe, with three wins that earned him his card on the European Tour. He is back home here in Florida and can play well in familiar surroundings.
chappy
Triple Crown Winner

Cash Winnings: 345
Free Bets Won: 45

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:00 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for two this week who played ok in the matchpplay, Rickie Fowler who is now coached by Butch Harmon and looked like the changes and advice from a legend has worked the oracle and if a player is in form stick with um and at 33-1 not bad seen as tiger and Adam not seen out for a while
Billy Horschel who took eventual winner Day all the way with extra holes needed,can be volatile but dont see a lot wrong with his swing and all round play,a mulitiple winner in the making and at 66-1 ew price to boot
KangaMick
Group 2 Class

Cash Winnings: 30

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:08 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Reed 66/1

Patrick turned Pro in 2011 and in that time he has turned a lot of heads. The 23 year old has a big future ahead and many believe he will be a Major contender.

Have a look at his numbers. In week 10 of 2012 he was ranked number 1424 in the World. He started 2013 as no.584 and finished the year at no.69. After five starts in 2014 he is now up to no.44 in the world. That is a fast progression!

Last season Reed had 29 starts and made 17 cuts. The highlight was his maiden PGA Tour win at the Wyndham Championship after beating Jordan Spieth in a play-off. Other notable mentions are 5th St Jude Classic, T7th AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am, T7th John Deere Classic and T9th Canadian Open.

This year he has hit the ground running again, claiming victory by two shots in the Humana Challenge. He was T16th in the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, prior to his Humana win. He followed his victory up with a T19th in the Phoenix Open then it was a T13th at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am and last weekend he was T17th at the WGC Accenture Match Play where he beat Graham DeLaet in the first round. In round two it took George Coetzee 21 holes to beat him.

Those are some pretty impressive numbers again! 16-1-19-13-17 and it is only his second full season the PGA Tour. If you want more numbers check out his stats. 2oth in Greens in Regulation, 24th in Strokes Gained Putting, 7th in All Round rankings, 6th in Par 4 Birdie or better averages and 13th in Ball Striking. All great stats for this tournament.

Will MacKenzie 90/1

MacKenzie gets the nod for our second selection this week due to his form this season and past form in this tournament. When it comes to his past few seasons he has been all over the shop. He spent 2013 on the web.com tour where he made 14 cuts from 21 starts. 2012 saw 6 starts on the PGA Tour for 3 made cuts and 18 starts on the web.com for 7 made cuts. 2011 was pretty much the same story. 14 starts on the PGA Tour for 10 made cuts and 10 on the web.com for 6 made cuts.

This year something seems to have clicked with him. 5 starts so far have seen a missed cut in the Sony Open, T13th Humana Challenge, T7th Farmers Insurance Open, T13th AT7T Pebble Beach Pro Am and T52nd Northern Trust Open.

It is also worth noting that Will has had four starts at this course with the most recent being in 2010 when he finished 12th. He was 5th in 2009, 65th in 2009 and 22nd in 2008 so you can expect him to play well here this week as he lives close by and will feel like it is a home game.

His stats this year have him 13th in Scoring average, 35th in Greens in Regulation, 23rd in Strokes Gained Putting, 2nd in All Round stats, 19th in Ball Striking, 21st in Birdie average and 6th in Par 5 birdie or better average.
Tricky Tree
Group 1 Class

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

rose WD
bore369
Listed Class

Cash Winnings: 10

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

My picks this week are:

Keegan Bradley 28/1
Having a steady season so far 5 top 25 finishes but only 1 top 10, lives down the road in Jupiter, Florida and he loves a par 70 track 2 of his 3 wins on the PGA Tour have come on par 70s.

Patrick Reed 80/1
Great season so far for Patrick with his win at the Humana and another 4 top 25s to boot he is playing some excellent golf at the moment, he ranks 20th GIR, 38th fairways hit, 24th strokes gained putting and 30th in sand saves he finished 58th on debut at the Honda last year.

Matt Every 80/1
Born and raised in Florida, hasn't got the best record round PGA National 2 m.c's along with a 26th but he's in good form coming in this week after a t6 at Riviera, he's made 7 out of 8 cuts with 3 top 10s this season. Also has a history of playing par 70s well with top 10s at Waialae, Colonial and Sedgefield CC.

Chris Stroud 80/1
13th and 9th on his last two visits shows he obviously has some liking for the course 7 of his last 8 rounds par or better. A bit of a mixed season so far with 3 m.c's and 2 3rd place finishes also ranks 15th in scrambling.

Luke Guthrie8 80/1
3rd place in his one and only appearance at the Honda Classic last season shooting a second round 63 ranks 7th strokes gained putting and 27th in scrambling this season.

All selections 6 places E/W
The Admiral
Group 1 Class

Cash Winnings: 185
Free Bets Won: 15

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Classic

Didn't really fancy anyone at the top of the market. Garcia perhaps the pick of them now Rose has defected. I do like a few at fancy prices though.

Billy Horschel 66/1 - played well in the matchplay, big opening round win and took Day to extra holes in the 2nd round. He's showed signs of a return to form recently and capable of going very low.

Patrick Reed 80/1 - massive price about a player who has won twice in the last 6 months

Will MacKenzie 100/1 - a top 10 and 2 top 15's in his last 4, has played well here in the past.

Brian Harman 125/1 - going well this season

Good luck all Embarassed)
HGibbs829
2yo

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 pm     Post subject: Hondaa. Reply with quote

Just the three golfers for me this week.

Rickie Fowler 35-1 Swing changes look like they are finally clicking and Rickie is the type of player who grows on confidence and normally performs well for a consecutive number of events.

Billy Horschel 60-1 Very good young American talent who will be looking for a big year. Convincing 1st round performance in the Match Play last week and took the champion Day to 23 holes. Good E/W value surely.

Brendon De Jonge 125-1 The 'not so athletes' have had a pretty good start to this year with wins from Stallings and Stadler and I think Brendon could be next. Solid player who can turn it on and 125-1 is great value if the putter works.
STEVEOCN
Group 1 Class

Read My Blog!

Cash Winnings: 170

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

The PGA Tour heads to Palm Beach Gardens this week for the start of the Florida Swing. The Champion Course at PGA National Resort & Spa has been the home to The Honda Classic since 2007. Redesigned by Jack Nicklaus the Champion Course is a Par 70 layout measuring 7,241 yards and its feature is of course ‘The Bear Trap’ from holes 15 through to 17. The three hole stretch will surely have the final say in who wins this event come Sunday evening. Tiger Woods, Adam Scott & Phil Mickelson who return to action after missing last week’s WGC Accenture Match Play head the field with a strong European contingent teeing it up including Rory McIlroy, Graeme McDowell & Sergio Garcia. With the years second World Golf Championship at Trump National Doral next week we have seven of the World’s Top 10 on show this week at PGA National. With Ball Striking and course management key on the Champion Course, I am siding with two Major Champions this week.

First up is Charl Schwartzel. The South African had an early season win on the European Tour when he won the Alfred Dunhill Championship at Leopard Creek in December then followed it with back to back Top 6 finishes at the Nedbank Golf Challenge and the Thailand Golf Championship. Schwartzel has since played his way into 2014 and a solo 5th place finish two weeks ago at the Northern Trust Open suggests the 2011 Masters Champion isn’t too far away. Charl posted four consecutive sub 70 rounds at Riviera and got himself right in the mix during the back nine on Sunday. Schwartzel ranked 27th in Total Driving & 45th in Ball Striking last season on the PGA Tour and with back to back top ten finishes at PGA National I am willing to overlook his Round 2 exit at the hands of Jim Furyk last week. 5th in Par Breakers and Birdie Average in 2013, if Schwartzel can get the putter hot this week he has every chance in Palm Beach.

My second selection is Graeme McDowell. G-Mac went to the Quarter Finals last week at the WGC Accenture Match Play and will surely take confidence from his fight back performances. Tied 7th the week before at the AT&T National Pro-Am, McDowell has made no secret that his game is sharpening up nicely. The 2010 United States Open Champion closed with a final round 67 at Pebble Beach which was only bettered by American Dustin Johnson. McDowell heads to Florida in good heart and will surely relish the test that the Champion Course at PGA National will provide. The Northern Irishman won the RBC Heritage last April at Harbour Town Golf Links and has three consecutive Top 10 finishes at The Honda Classic. Tied 9th here last year after reaching the Quarter Finals in the Accenture the week before, I am backing G-Mac to go close again this week.

My final pick this week is John Senden. The Aussie finished tied 18th on his last start two weeks ago at the Northern Trust Open and will surely be raring to go this week after seeing fellow Australian Jason Day lift the WGC Accenture Match Play trophy last week in Arizona. Senden has an impressive set of statistics this season, he currently ranks 35th in Ball Striking and 31st in Total Driving. He also sits 12th in Total Putting and 9th in Strokes Gained which suggests he looks primed for a big week. Since 2007 Senden has teed it up five times making the cut on each occasion with a 27th place finish in 2009 his best showing. The 200/1 on offer with Boylesports & William Hill is an eye catching price but I am backing the Australian to follow up on his Top 20 at Riviera with another this week at PGA National.
Betting Blog Show Tipping Performance View user's profile Send private message
The rabbit
Triple Crown Winner

Read My Blog!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:31 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Tricky Tree for advising that Justin Rose is a non starter. Going to replace him with a player from outside the USA as Americans do not have a particularly good record here so I am going with the Japanese player Hideki Matsuyama 35/1 who has already obtained a couple of top 10 finishes this season including a jt 4th at the Waste Management Phoenix Open early this month so he has good recent form.
The course this week is reasonably short and is a difficult one and he showed last year that he can perform well on difficult courses when he came jt 10th at the U S Open. He was later jt 6th at the Open so is capable of playing very good golf.
Reply to topic    OLBG Sports Betting Forum Index -> Golf Betting
Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Everton V Chelsea - Forum Prizes

Bet Of The Day - Nap Of The Day

Members Ticket Invite - OLBG Park Stakes 13th September

Tell your mates about OLBG and
Earn Some £££

Man Utd
1.65 William Hill
68% confidence
Burnley v Man Utd